Hurricane Irene

steves

Not really camping, but still roughing it power got KOd Sunday am and no hopes of it being restored until at least Wednesday
Now the wife sees the importance of some of my gear, lights to read by, stoves for warm meals too bad it isn't winter I could break out some of my cold weather gear she thinks I waste money on Ha Ha

WalkingMan

I never even thought of that, IndianaHiker. I do hope they are OK. It got pretty rough in some areas. A friend of mine is an electric lineman and he's in Va. now to try to help get the power back on. He said some areas were hit pretty hard.

calanta

I know parts of NJ and MD were randomly stuck in the evil which is no electric zone as my sister calls it. I would hate to worry thinking someone I knew (or even myself) were caught off guard and out on a trail when this came through.

Hazel

I live on Long Island NY. I packed my tent and camping gear just in case we had to leave. She wasn't as tough as I thought she was gonna be. Lots of trees down around here but we finally got our electricity back today.

jason

fear no beer
I live on Long Island NY. I packed my tent and camping gear just in case we had to leave. She wasn't as tough as I thought she was gonna be. Lots of trees down around here but we finally got our electricity back today.
I used to live on the Island. Was there for Gloria I think the name was in the 80's. Was without power for about a month. But we were in the boonies. Glad to hear you are ok and with power.

sailorman

Glad to hear everyone is starting to recover from the storms. I hope everyone is safe. I would like to hear an update from the AT hikers as well. I just hope no one was out there.

Scotty

We are far inland so we didn't have a problem. But my nephew is an electric lineman so he's in Virginia working to get electricity restored to the masses. We once had an electrical outage after an ice storm that lasted for two weeks. We pretty much camped out in the house, staying by the fireplace and cooking there too. It was nice since I couldn't get to work either.

Fox & Hounds

I have been without power since 4 am on Sunday morning
The restoration efforts are being poorly handled here.

Got a friend that works for AMC. He said the storm was a non-event in the Whites. I imagine that most thru-hikers were OK as long as they weren't lagging behind in southern VT. That area got hit harder than the shoreline.