i sent a money order to camping gear outlet

god/al

they endorsed it for deposit only (i had the p.o. check who cashed it) & now the owner tells me they never received it

i didnt get the item i ordered

the owner smarmingly tells me ive a problem...id say he has a much bigger problem

can one file in us court for mail fraud

FreeWilly

I'm not really sure how money orders work, but I've heard you can get burned on them. They warn you not to use them for payments on sites like Craigslist. I hope you get your problem resolved.

Grandpa

First,contact their better business bureau. They have a posting on their home page right in the upper left hand corner that they are A+ rated. A call to BBB and that may change.

Lamebeaver

Contact (in the following order):

Bank where it was cashed (ask them to verify who cashed the MO)
Company you purchased from (sign for delivery)
Better business bureau
Police department in the jurisdiction of the company

ejdixon

I'm not really sure how money orders work, but I've heard you can get burned on them. They warn you not to use them for payments on sites like Craigslist. I hope you get your problem resolved.
My friends have warned me against using money orders as well when it comes to buying things on the Internet. I agree with Lamebeaver. Get all the proof that you it was received and cashed by the company where you bought your camping gear and then file the complaint with the BBB. Hope things work out for you.

ppine

Forester
Companies come and go especially in a bad economy. Does anyone remember the Alaska Sleeping Bag Co. out of Oregon? I sent them a check for $75 in about 1966 for a down sleeping bag with an Egyptian cotton cover no less. They cashed the check and sent me a notice that they were out of business. That was a lot money for a high school kid in those days.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I had something similar happen to me. I notified our State Police, including proof of same. They notified the police agency closest to the other party, which asked for an explanation.

Shortly thereafter, the other party hand-delivered a good check to me in the amount of what was owed (he had forged my name on a check that was made out to me).

Hope you're successful in your collection endeavor.

Lamebeaver

What was the name of this company?

Please let us know so we won't ever do business with them.

You might also want to email them a link to this thread.

Information is power.

ejdixon

Companies come and go especially in a bad economy. Does anyone remember the Alaska Sleeping Bag Co. out of Oregon? I sent them a check for $75 in about 1966 for down sleeping bad with an Egyptian cotton cover no less. They cashed the check and sent me a notice that they were out of business. That was a lot money for a high school kid in those days.
So sorry to hear that ppine. It just goes to show that if it can happen back when there was no Internet and online shopping, how much more now? I don't know...but after reading this, I'd rather spend a little bit more by buying stuff from a local dealer in a store the old-fashioned way. The savings just doesn't seem to be worth the potential frustration that can happen.