Is there a no list?

calanta

I am wondering of the hunters here, is there anything on the list that you will just not touch? Even with a ten foot pole? Right now we are planning a trip and someone keeps razzing the ladies about having us eat some type of bird and it just turns my stomach thinking about it.

Grandpa

I would have to be very desperate to eat any of the hunter birds such as eagles, hawks, owls, crows. (well, guess I have ate crow a few times but not the bird variety)

A couple of months ago, I told the story of the airplane crash in central Idaho where they lived on woodpeckers for 17 days.

The songbird types would just be too small to be worth killing. Of course there are the snipes but I think I'd pass on them as well, despite taking the kids out at night to catch them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Grandpa, methinks thou jesteth. Calanta does not wish to eat a bird. I am certain she has never eaten chicken. That would be sacrilege. Oh how could we ever condone the eating of a winged creature??

Sammee

I'm into fish myself and I can't think of a type that I wouldn't eat from octopus to shark. They are all scrumptious! I'm not too keen on fowl or birds of any kind but I'm up for trying anything in the animal group.

Kepper

Wanderer
I'll try anything once. If its good then I'll eat it again. I have few hang ups when it comes to food. The only think I really won't eat is saurkraut, the smell gags me.

If someone who knows what they are doing puts it on a plate and tells me its good, I'll try it.

CozInCowtown

When in my younger days, I am much smarter now, I was a ASW operator on a SH2G.
We had SERE training where we tried to evade capture, survive in the woods and eat bugs and such.
Luckilly I didn't get that hungry......
DC

calanta

I am surprised that woodpeckers were that sustaining and its almost the last thing I would think about. And how exactly does one catch a woodpecker? I hate those buggers when they try to mess up my deck. For me I would deferentially say a wild dog/beast type (besides birds), the unknown of what they might carry is just a little too much for me.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Under normal circumstances my no list includes buzzards, rats and the neighbor's pets. Under survival conditions, nothing is safe.

guns4570

Survivalist will tell you that if you are trying to survive in the wild it is easy to kill a porcupine. Well I killed a porcupine one hunting trip. I have eaten rabbit, ground hog, Armadillo and raccoon. They were all eatable. I am here to tell you I will really have to be hungry to eat another Porcupine. It tasted like a peace of pine bark which is what they eat. The other thing is they are vary hard to clean.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yeah, Grandpa, skunk is edible but you better know what you're doing when you clean them. One slip of the knife can be an odiferous experience.

wvbreamfisherman

Buzzards and rats for sure, unless it's them or me. Under normal circumstances, I've heard that groundhog and possum are very greasy and barely edible, but I have never tried them. I'd like to one day if they were cooked by someone that knew how.

Snapping turtle is good, but tough and messy to clean. Other than that, I pretty well draw the line at raw stuff like oysters and clams, since they are water filtering critters. Cooked, on the other hand....yummmmmm!

My $0.02, YMMV.

Lamebeaver

opossum
I probably wouldn't eat a rat unless I was really hungry.
Armadillo

I've eaten rattlesnake (tastes like chicken), turtle (ditto), pigeon, squirrel and rabbit.

dinosaur

troublemaker
We call them "rats with wings". Of course this is the same thing, just slightly different in statement.

Tailtwitch

I'll eat most anything if it smells good and has been safely prepared. That said, if something looks delicious, but the smell turns my stomach, no way you're getting me to eat it in this life or any other.