Meat from Wild Hogs?

LoveTheWater

I know a lot of you probably hunt wild hogs so was wondering how the meat was from one of them? Do you get good bacon and chops? Ribs? We have quite a few around where we live that are along the river banks. We are allowed to shoot them and have a friend or two willing to do this and butcher them, then divide the meat up. I just wondered how the meat was? Is it tough?

Fox38

Seriously? I've never even seen a wild hog. It's not something that I would have ever thought about eating either. I wonder if they taste the same as farm pigs? Very interesting.

Grandpa

No experience with the wild hogs but I do know the flavor of domestic pork is based on the feed. Pigs will eat "slop" or household garbage and it's a cheaper way to feed them but the flavor is bland compared to pigs fed a balanced ration of grains and alfalfas. Therefore, I would expect wild hogs to be stronger tasting.

ppine

Forester
My neighbor shot one this fall in CA. The raw meat has almost no odor. It has some fat compared to most game meat and is less gamey. I found it easy to prepare because it can be cooked very much like domestic pork.

Please encourage anyone you know to hunt and eat wild hogs more. There is an epidemic of them in many states where they create lots of problems for indigenous wildlife and native plant communities. Texas and Florida are two of the worst states at the moment. Hawaii also has problems.

Judy Ann

It reminds me of the way pork tasted a few decades back with good flavor. We used to cook whole wild hogs for pig pickin's. I have no experience with processing since the guys hunted mainly to relocate living hogs.

jason

fear no beer
Hog hunting, is one thing I would like to get into, along with gator hunting. Gator would be the first, hot would be the second. I would love a smoker big enough where I could do whole hog for parties. I have not gotten a hold of any personally, but I have heard it is better tasting then store bought pig.

StillLikeToCamp

I have had some fresh ham from a wild hog that someone gave to us. I just cooked it like I did any other, which was in the crock pot and it came out quite tasty.

Greatoutdoors

Wild hog is delicious! We live in one of the states that they are running all over so there isn't even a season anymore. I hope to get one very, very soon. I am actually going hunting for them this weekend.

Otto

I believe that the wild meat of hog is more delicious than raising hog. It make me think the comic strip named Suicide island.

HikerJoe

Here's a picture of my bro's "pig farm" There is a wild one and several domesticated piglets. The wild ones are everywhere in Florida. I believe the older males if not castrated taste nasty. Otherwise they taste delicious.