Mobile survival backpack

racoon

I think in case if disaster I want to be mobile. What are the most beneficial things to put in a survival backpack (for shelter especially)? I am starting to stack up on ammo because I think this is a must.

Michael

It really depends a lot on you, where you are, and what you want the thing to do.

The first consideration is what you want the bag to do for you. Is it to get you home in an emergency at work? Is it to get you from home to another specific location? Is it something to have on you all the time, just in case? What sorts of emergencies do you want to prepare for?

With this goal in mind, consider the things you're likely to need to accomplish. Are you likely to need to deal with rain? Might want a poncho of some sort. Will you need to be able to hunt? Then you're going to need tools to do that.

Basically, while everyone needs to worry about breathing, shelter, water, food, and injury, how you deal with them depends on your abilities and location. How far you intend to travel and how long you're planning to stay out will affect how much weight you want to carry.

So, what sorts of scenarios do you want this thing to be good for?

racoon

Well, I was thinking like for home survival in case we have some disaster where everyone is killing each other to survive. Probably, the worst case scenario, is what I'm thinking. Boy there is alot to consider.

Blueskyy

There are lots of different kinds of bags, and like Michael said it depends on what the bag is for. For some ideas look at BOB (bug out bags) videos on youtube. You will get lots of helpful suggestions on what to put in a bag, and how to do it so you can get the most out of your bag. My favorite youtuber is Nutnfancy, and he has a LOT of very useful videos.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Ammo would be my last purchase.
1 shelter-is my dwelling ready for say a two week stay with no power
2 way to store water and make fresh water
3 two weeks to a month of food
4 fuel for generator and maybe kerosene for lamps
5 battery radio and lights and spare batteries
6 guns and ammo

You can safely figure the police will be able to maintain order for at least two weeks unless they are wiped out by a Katrina like event.
Get a plan and work from start to finish. Everyone wants to start in the middle and load up with a lot of stuff they don't need.
Use money wisely is all I'm sayin.

ppine

Forester
Killing each other to survive, guns and ammo? I don't get your premise. Sounds like a "Mad Max" movie.

catspa

Survival is a lot more likely for people who pitch in, work together, and help each other out. That said, there are those who will take what others have (by violence or the threat of it), just like in ordinary life. The silver lining is, they probly won't survive as long as they hoped, and then the decent folks can get back to helping each other out.

Good idea to keep your eyes open and be prepared, though.

Parker

Michael

Survival is a lot more likely for people who pitch in, work together, and help each other out.
This here is why those survival shows are all a bit silly, and some more than others. Being alone vastly increases the chances that something bad is going to happen to you or that you'll be overwhelmed by circumstances.