Mtn Lion Sighting

ppine

Forester
Saw a mountain lion about 3 weeks ago in broad daylight cross the road in front of my brother's truck. He? was very long and athletic looking. This was in NE Calif a few miles from Portola. Has anyone noticed more cats in the last few years?

CozInCowtown

I spent the night on top of Wolf Creek Pass many years ago in my freight truck.
Got up after daylight and made a trip to....ahem....check the tires, yeah, check the tires in my t-shirt and tennis shoes.
When I got back in the truck on the passenger side and about to pour a cup of coffee I noticed on the picknick bench about 15 yards to my right a FREAKIN HUGE mountain lion watching me!!
:whistle:
He was just lounging in the morning sun swishing his tail like he owned that mountain.
Glad he wasn't hungry as he had me dead to rights!
DC

ppine

Forester
Cozin cowtown,

That is a chilling story. He did own the mountain. Lions are better to eat than most people will admit. The same goes for black bears if they have had a vegetarian diet and not fish.

outwest

I heard they were in the hills of WV when I would visit my grandfather there. Never saw one but for years I used to be worried one would snatch me up when we went out in the yard to play in the evenings.

rockin

Never seen a Mountain Lion here in Upstate NY. I'm pretty glad too. Close as we have is a bobcat! Wow, how crazy is that - bet you were glad to be in a vehicle.

Fox38

Argh! No thanks... The closest I want to see them is in a cage at the zoo. Where are Mountain Lions anyway? I don't think they are here in the NorthEast? I haven't seen any.

Grandpa

Mountain lions are very bashful. They are the original STEALTH Fighter. There are 22 female kill permits issued just in our zone. No limit on males. The 22 kills are usually called in within the first month of the season. And yet, sightings are very rare. It takes good dogs to hunt them. I see their tracks all the time and I know they are there but they do stay very well hidden until they attack.

ppine

Forester
Cats are like mice in your garage. You don,t see them that much, but you know they are there. If you do see one, there are probably 10 more you don't see. Look carefully for evidence and deer kills. I hit a bobcat with my truck last winter unfortunately. It was daylight and I was towing my boat on the highway. There was traffic and I could't risk locking up the brakes.

The range on the mtn. lion is huge including the NE US, MEX, Central Amer,. and S Amer.
My friend was gold prospecting in the Andes on mules. They had to take turns standing guard with a rifle to ward off "El Puma."

Tailtwitch

Mountain lions are pretty amazing animals to watch, but I don't think I could ever shoot one unless it was going after me. Then again, I'm pretty easily impressed by big animals.

Grandpa

This isn't my pic. Just one of those floating the emails but isn't it awesome?

A nephew has dogs and runs cats but he seldom if ever uses his kill tag, unless it is an old problem cat. When they get old, hunting is harder so they come into the valley looking for easier prey. That creates a problem so they have to go.

[/IMG]

Last edited: