My Canine Hiking Companion

Amelie

I love to take my dog hiking and camping with me. He provides companionship and security. He never complains and is a great portable hot blanket. Do you take you dog with you ?

Last edited:

Frederico

No I don't - but I'd like to. My domestic arrangements and business life don't leave much room for a dog. But if I had one I'd have a Spanish Water Dog.

Starling

I take my dog with me whenever I can manage to. She loves to go with me and see different things. Because we live in the city, going out into the woods is something she enjoys greatly. My only problem is when there's a thunderstorm brewing. She gets scared to death, so I always need to watch the weather before going hiking with her.

Philly

I bring my dog too when I go hiking. He makes the hike more enjoyable. Dogs don't complain when they are tired and they go anywhere you go.

Flatlander

I haven't gone hiking without a dog in almost 20 years. When my oldest dog (Pavlov) was a puppy, he was in the woods hiking 4 miles at less than 9 weeks. Given the amount of time that he's spent there in his 9 years it's no wonder that we can't drive down a slow road with trees on both sides without him slowly losing his mind in the back seat. He's a mutt that's built like a coyote and "painted" like a wolf, so it's never a bad idea to put a safety orange "vest" on him as soon as we get to the trailhead. I don't begrudge anyone their guns, but I've seen enough drunks "hunting" in the woods to know better than to turn a dog loose without a brass bell and day-glow orange on him somewhere...

jason

fear no beer
I would like to start making a weekly trip to a park that allows dogs on some hiking paths. But right now taking care of a pregnant wife and two year old, it is a bit hard sometimes to get out on a regular basis.

mccallum

Right now mine walks with me threeto six plus miles a day! He love to walk and the one time we were on a trail in Wilderness Park just outside Pittsburg Kanasa he went crazy with love. On trails is the one time he does not have to walk at my side; he cam walk ahead as far as the lead will reach; that day he had about 6 foot of lead but was not sure just how far he want to go! I intend to get out with him a lot more come spring. He is a Lab/boxer mutt so he will also get taken to the watering hole for some fun!!

Navigator

I have two Beagles who LOVE to be out in the woods, the only thing with Beagles is you can NEVER let them off leash! Not unless you have a couple of days to wait for them to come back.
I mostly stick to dayhikes with them.

Refrigerator

I can never get my gear packed without my Lab and Golden Retriever right on my heels up and down the steps knowing all to well I am going Backpacking...then when I pull there packs off the rack whoooaaa look out they really get excited.

Amelie

It's great to see how hikers and dogs make a natural "match" - I have a border collie who has hiked with me in the UK for 8 years. He was rejected as a sheep dog due to his epilepsy - his fits are rare and mild, but his hikes are long and full of wonderful scents.