New Sun Canopy for Canoe

Newanderthal

Paddling in the summer is a blast, but dogs can only take the direct sunlight for so long, and my dog has thick, black fur. My answer to this problem was to build a small canopy that provides a shaded spot in the center of the boat. Here's the new and improved canopy, constructed from PVC pipe and a cheap pocket tarp from Walmart.

Construction is simple. 2 sections of PVC that run laterally along the thwarts. They are held in place by clamps (purchased from Lowes).
A 90 degree elbow is fitted onto each end of the two sections and turned upward.
Rising from these 4 elbows are short sections of pipe (about 6 inches long). They raise the canopy above the level of the gunwales, providing a breezeway and allowing the dog to stick his head out the sides.
Each vertical riser is tipped with another 90 degree elbow. Those in front are turned backward, those in the rear are turned forward.
Between these elbows run 2 more sections of pipe, 1 on either side of the canopy extending from front to rear.
The canopy is a section of a nylon pocket tarp from Walmart (Outdoor Products, I think). It costs about $15.

The dog gets to sit in the shade and relax while we do all the work. He loves it.

Hikenhunter

I like that alot. One suggestion if I may. Insyead of those clamps you might want to give velcro straps a try. I only suggest this because I noticed that the handles to the clamps are sticking out and I can just imagine how that could be an issue for me. Not trying to criticize just something I would try.

Pathfinder1

Paddling in the summer is a blast, but dogs can only take the direct sunlight for so long, and my dog has thick, black fur. My answer to this problem was to build a small canopy that provides a shaded spot in the center of the boat. Here's the new and improved canopy, constructed from PVC pipe and a cheap pocket tarp from Walmart.

Hi...

Brilliant...!!! And so easy to remove/install.

WillaMarie

What a great idea and how thoughtful to think of your dog like that. :) I'm sure he/she will appreciate the thought and work behind getting it set up.

ppine

Forester
New,
Glad to see someone with a real canoe. An ingenious idea. I just keep my furry dogs wet in the hot weather and let evaporation do the trick.

Newanderthal

I like that alot. One suggestion if I may. Insyead of those clamps you might want to give velcro straps a try. I only suggest this because I noticed that the handles to the clamps are sticking out and I can just imagine how that could be an issue for me. Not trying to criticize just something I would try.
I actually thought of that. These clamps were left over from the canopy I used on my last canoe. Because of a lack of thwarts, I had to clamp the frame to the gunwales. With this setup I'll probably switch to Velcro straps. I'll go shopping in the spring when I get back on the water.