No showers

Lovefall

My husband thinks that I’m going to go 3 days without a shower. Gross, I know right! He wants to go backpacking and camping and I love this idea but I don’t like the idea of no shower. I can’t figure out why we can’t do this somewhere that has showers. Am I asking too much?

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
There are no showers when you backpack. Depending on the weather, there's a few options from swimming in a lake/river to sponge bath with a wet wipe. Normally I just keep my hands clean and let the rest go. I'll get in the water to cool off in the summer but not for the specific purpose of getting clean. Never use soap in a lake/river/stream.

If you are just getting started with camping and want to car camp then getting a campground with a hot shower sounds like a plan. When you progress on to actual backpacking you need to be able to let this go.

Tubby

It's really impossible to find a good shower in the back country. The outdoors are really inconsiderate that way. I don't know why it couldn't have developed some shower facilities as well as all of those rocks and dirt. Really.

IndianaHiker

Yes you are asking to much unless you want to car camp. However there are things that have been mentioned here that you can do. I use wet wipes, and wash up in streams without soap as stated before. But I can tell you this it wont kill you or even have any long term effects.

firedancer

After the 3rd day, you really don't notice :) If you really wanted to, they make solar showers - I wouldn't lug the extra weight, but it's basically just a reflective water bag that gets hot in the sun....otherwise, yeah, you're stuck car camping and frankly....some of those campground showers make not showering look pretty good!

Judy Ann

That was a big gross spot for me, but Others suggested solar showers, wet wipes, collapsable sinks so it really hasn't been a big deal over the last year. When basecamping I fill a gallon container with water in the am and set it in the sun to warm. Enough to wash hair and shower. Just don't strip down to birthday suit in a public area! Luckily I didn't get caught! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Theo

eyebp's mentor
But being without a shower for several days makes that first shower at home one of the most wonderful experiences you will ever have.

I keep some wet wipes, deodorant and a change of clothes in my vehicle so when I get back, I can venture into public without someone trying to direct me to a homeless shelter.

ejdixon

It wouldn't be really backpacking if you're very close to many of the luxuries like having showers nearby. IndianaHiker is right. Three days without a shower may sound a bit gross, but it won't kill you. :)

Grandpa

I'll skip posting a pic of a hot spring this time. Not only a good way to get clean but sure helps tired and sore muscles.

Lorax

Heat up a little water in a kettle and sponge bath. Some deodorant and a set of fresh clothes will satisfy you until you get back.
As said above, that first shower once home will make you really appreciate what you have at home.

Lamebeaver

As Firedancer mentioned, they make lightweight solar showers. If you have a Palatapus bag (hydration system) you can also get a showerhead that fit's on one of these.

I will happily skip a shower for several days in order to get off the beaten path. There are no showers in the wilderness.

Fox38

Wow, you guys are hard core. I wouldn't want to do it either. I have backpacked many times and we always came back to camp. Guess what? There were showers! They weren't the best but they worked.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Wow, you guys are hard core. I wouldn't want to do it either. I have backpacked many times and we always came back to camp. Guess what? There were showers! They weren't the best but they worked.
If you have a shower you are camping, not backpacking.

Newanderthal

Baby wipes.

The enjoyment of seeing places that cannot be driven to and experiencing adventure comes at a price. That price is that you have to postpone conditioning your hair for a few days. If going without a shower is too much to endure, you're not ready for backpacking.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I've seen the black solar shower bags. Wouldn't they be really light when empty? I would think you could take an empty one, fill it in a stream in the morning and leave in the sun all day. Once you use it, dump out the water, and pack out the empty sack... Right?
It doesn't seem like there would be a lot of weight.

Newanderthal

the problem with that, Theosus, is that you're just cleaning with stream water. I don't think that bathing in stream water will be enough, not if the idea of no shower on a backpacking trip is enough to gross her out.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
the problem with that, Theosus, is that you're just cleaning with stream water. I don't think that bathing in stream water will be enough, not if the idea of no shower on a backpacking trip is enough to gross her out.
True. It doesn't bother me... Bathing with stream water or not at all.
I actually relish the idea of being smelly in the woods.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I've seen the black solar shower bags. Wouldn't they be really light when empty? I would think you could take an empty one, fill it in a stream in the morning and leave in the sun all day. Once you use it, dump out the water, and pack out the empty sack... Right?
It doesn't seem like there would be a lot of weight.
You can probably find one around a pound or so. If you are actually backpacking you won't have time to heat the water though. If you walk until around supper the sun will be too low in the sky to heat the water. Without heating the water you are just hauling an extra pound for no reason.

I guess you could setup a basecamp and do day hikes and use one? I always thought of them as gimmicks thought, not something anyone would actually carry.

ponderosa

That is day hiking from a base camp (and apparently a drive in camp at that). Backpacking is carrying your shelter/bed and everything else you need several miles into the backcountry, where there are no facilities of any kind. In the morning, you wake up, pack up, and hike some more.
It is possible to stay hygenic, if not exactly clean. A few baby wipes, some hand sanitizer, and something to pull your hair back are the basics. I've known backpackers that skip toothpaste, but that's carrying it a bit too far for me. When you start feeling really grimey, a tiny wash cloth, a couple cups of warm water, and a few drops of Dr Bronners camp soap can make a real difference. It's just a few days, and the pay off is totally worth it.