Poison Ivy gone yet?

campclose

Do you think Poison Ivy is gone yet or is it still out and active? My dad ran into something in the woods and he swears it is Poison Ivy. I told him he is crazy!

rockin

I am thinking in my neck of the woods that it is all gone. I think it's out most in the summer and hotter months but I'm not 100% sure. Is he breaking out?

Fox38

I think Poison Ivy is pretty dormant right now too. He might have just came into contact with some other bush/leaf and is having a reaction to it. I would go to the docs if it becomes bothersome.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
While poison ivy may go dormant in colder climates, Urushiol oil, the oil that causes the rash, can remain active for several years. You can come in contact with it through handling dead plants or objects that have been in contact with poison ivy, such as tools or pets. My most frequent way to get it was by petting my dog.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
The leaves will drop but you can still get the rash (from the oil) from the vine. It's never safe to touch if you are allergic.

candycane

My husband got a terrible case of poison ivy while hunting in January. He was actually out of work for a week because his hands and face were so swollen (my husband is horribly allergic). My friend's son is home sick from school right now with a terrible poison ivy rash, so if you are allergic, please be careful. :)

EddieK47

Old Yankee
I got a good case of poison ivy with 6 inches of snow on the ground while carrying wood out.

LovingNature

I think that stuff hangs around as long as it can. We are in Florida so it can still get you if you are not looking out for it. It will get killed back if we have some heavy frost.

IndianaHiker

Also remember to what wood you burn in a camp fire. The smoke from a wood that has it on it can be inhales and the inflation then will be in lungs and airway. Have heard of this putting people in the hospital.

Michael

I was out in the woods last week, and I could still find poison ivy. It wasn't happy and perky, and many of the leaves had fallen off, but it was there. You'd better believe that I went around it.

Your best approach is to get into the habit of looking for poison ivy. It's really worthwhile. I'm allergic to it, I spend time in the woods all year round, and I've only had a reaction once in the past decade. I highly suggest that people form that same habit.

Also remember to what wood you burn in a camp fire. The smoke from a wood that has it on it can be inhales and the inflation then will be in lungs and airway. Have heard of this putting people in the hospital.
That happened to the grandmother of someone I went to middle school with. They were burning brush in the back yard, and she ended up needing to be hospitalized. It was apparently a really awful experience.