Pumpkin Pie

SweetSassyLady

Does pumpkin pie need to be refrigerated after you make it? I would love to take some to my sister's house but she lives 4 hours away from us. We are going there for Thanksgiving and she loves my pies because I use fresh pumpkin. I'd love to surprise her with some but transportation is going to be a problem if I have to refrigerate it? Does anyone know?

Qweetzy

I see them out in the store aisles without refrigeration all of the time. However, I'm sure the ones I see are full of preservatives. I wouldn't know about one without perservatives.

Jumper79

I don't believe that pumpkin pie has to be refrigerated so you should be safe to take one to your sister's. I don't think it matters that it is homemade versus store bought.

wvbreamfisherman

I think it would be fine out for 4 hours or so. I bought one at the store Saturday and it's been sitting on the counter as we ate off of it all week. I'll finish it this evening, but it was fine last night.

If you're worried about it, chill the pie down good overnight in the fridge and put it in one of the insulated bags you can get at the grocery store for bringing frozen stuff home. That ought to keep it pretty cool for four hours. You could always use a cooler with ice or Blue Ice if you really felt the need to keep it cold.

Grandpa

No problem. Mom would make half a dozen pies at a time, pumpkin or hubbard squash, keep a couple out and store the rest in an unused cool bedroom. It would take me 3 or 4 days to eat them all.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ponderosa

I always make the pies the day before. The cream pies go in the fridge, but everything else stays out on the counter top with a clean towel over them. Your pumpkin pie will be just fine for four hours.

Cottontail

It keeps a lot longer if refrigerated, but no, refrigeration isn't strictly necessary. :) I do think it tastes a lot better cold, though! It's hard to beat a good home-made pie.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around no pumpkin pie are.

Hi...

Yes...love the stuff.

Has anyone tried the canned pumpkin pie mix alone, with caramel or butterscotch topping? Yum...!!

No, Igor. You can't play hide-the-pumpkin, either.