Repacking food

campclose

How do you package food when you go camping? We take everything out all the cold items and put them in containers (Had too many food items ruined by melted ice in coolers). I usually package up snacks in single serving size baggies too. It really saves a lot of room and it makes it easier for the smaller kids to grab a snack when they want to.

ChadTower

Individual little ziploc bags are great for convenience but that's a lot of trash to manage. I always feel guilty that a little plastic bag is going to exist for a hundred years because I wanted to store some Cheez-its for 36 hours.

tentmom

Vacuum sealing is a wonderful idea. I want to start doing this too. What kind of sealer do you have?
We repack a lot in those little sandwich and snack size ziploc bags too. I just feel like they are more convenient for the kids.

Refrigerator

Barney

I use zip-lock bags of at least 4mil thickness and I pack food by groups and type, never in prepared meals for people, that seems like a waste of time to me.

IndianaHiker

I am lazy Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry for me. However they are getting expensive need to start looking into DIY alternatives.

ChadTower

Maybe for dry goods. For meat they are terrible. I do a lot of meat smoking and the two Foodsavers I bought didn't cut it at all. Any liquid at all in the item and it prevents a seal. Even if you get a seal it's 50/50 that seal will survive 9 months in a freezer. If the bag gets caught in freezer frost it will rip when you pull on it because the plastic gets so brittle when it's cold.

Refrigerator

Maybe for dry goods. For meat they are terrible. I do a lot of meat smoking and the two Foodsavers I bought didn't cut it at all. Any liquid at all in the item and it prevents a seal. Even if you get a seal it's 50/50 that seal will survive 9 months in a freezer. If the bag gets caught in freezer frost it will rip when you pull on it because the plastic gets so brittle when it's cold.
I don't have that problem. What I do is use a folded napkin or paper towel and insert it near the top so that it will not be impeding the seal. This will allow for any juices that do run to the opening to be subdued by the paper and everything gets sealed. My 2 freezers are fully loaded with meat this way.

ChadTower

I don't have that problem. What I do is use a folded napkin or paper towel and insert it near the top so that it will not be impeding the seal. This will allow for any juices that do run to the opening to be subdued by the paper and everything gets sealed. My 2 freezers are fully loaded with meat this way.

Nice. That would work with raw meat. Definitely not with smoked BBQ. Just too much juice. I even tried cooling it in the fridge first, still too much liquid. What really ticked me off, though, was the failed seals when I pulled it out of the freezer. No point in using the stupid thing if the plastic isn't sealed well enough to stand up to freezing.

Grandpa

I second the fridge. I use Food Saver as well. Never had a seal break either, but then I don't think we have ever tried to seal liquids.

I like to mix a batch of peanut butter and honey. Using the narrow bags, I put about an inch of mix in each, put it in the fridge to set, then suck the air and seal. Sure saves a lot of fuss to snip the end, squeeze onto my flour torts or flatbreads for an energy lunch when backpacking.

Grandpa

Indiana !! Some of us mountain house users have started to split a meal for 2, using a cup for rehydrating the first meal, and the bag for the 2nd meal. Then adding other things to round out the meal, such as fresh veggies, summer sausages, cheese, flat bread or flour torts with the above pb and honey or off the shelf chicken salad on the breads. Bumblebee makes a pretty good chicken salad, tuna salad, and ham salad that keeps okay.
Last summer, I went out 9 days with one group, stopped off at the house for 12 hours for a shower garbage dump and refill and went another 9 days with another group. I was thoroughly Mt housed out at the end of that, so on the next foray of 9 days hiking and two travel days used the above changes with great success. A little extra weight, but well worth it in the end.

IndianaHiker

Indiana !! Some of us mountain house users have started to split a meal for 2, using a cup for rehydrating the first meal, and the bag for the 2nd meal. Then adding other things to round out the meal, such as fresh veggies, summer sausages, cheese, flat bread or flour torts with the above pb and honey or off the shelf chicken salad on the breads. Bumblebee makes a pretty good chicken salad, tuna salad, and ham salad that keeps okay.
Last summer, I went out 9 days with one group, stopped off at the house for 12 hours for a shower garbage dump and refill and went another 9 days with another group. I was thoroughly Mt housed out at the end of that, so on the next foray of 9 days hiking and two travel days used the above changes with great success. A little extra weight, but well worth it in the end.
Sounds like a good idea. The variety sounds good and also those meals are getting expensive. Bass Pro is not at 7 to 10 bucks a pop. I am luck to have a local outfitter that sells them from 5 to 7.

I have been thinking about doing some shopping for other alternatives. Starting to look at freezer bag cooking and making my own mountain house type stuff. Finding that lots of Asian stores have good selection of different types noodles, spices, and things like mushroom that could make a tasty meal with just added water. I am going to have to do some shopping in the next few weeks and try some of these out. One problem I have is limited some what by the fact I am a vegetarian. I do eat fish some times and have been know to add tuna or salmon to different Mountain House meals