Snares.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Snares are one excellent way to capture game animals and fur bearers. However, one cannot learn to use them overnight...or immediately during a survival situation...!!

I always carry three commercially made small animal snares in my BOB.

There are a few trapping sites on the 'net that can give you some guidance. Also some books. Be careful if you try to use them before-the-fact, though, as they are not legal in all states. Their use is also described in some trapping magazines.

Much better to learn to use them BEFORE they are needed in a survival situation.

Pathfinder1

How much does your scent come into play? Is it something that's an issue when trapping? I've heard that using ashes from a fire would cover your scent.

Hi...

For small game, you need not worry about human scent at all. Actually, that goes for some larger game and fur bearers, too, especially when it comes to snares.

NOTE: when possible, it is a good idea to use a large flat rock for the base of the figure four deadfall. And larger rocks for larger animals, of course.

And while you're waiting for your traps to catch something, why not procure a few small animals and birds with your sling shot as well, eh? Then you won't be quite so hungry when you check your traps.

LunaticFringeInc

Snares can be effective for sure, I just think it takes a little more skill to use them well than most people have.

Personally I like to use Conibear traps. I take a number of them with me when I go camping just in case. I keep a couple of 220's and a half dozen 110's to scrounge up some scooby snacks for the grill if I find myself in a tight spot. They are very simple and easy to use effectively with minimal skill. They are pretty compact and light weight as well as cheap too.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

What Lunatic says about snares is quite true.

And, for the uninitiated, a Conibear is a body gripping trap generally known for its quick killing ability.

Carrying them for emergencies is a good idea, where the extra room and weight for them exists.

LunaticFringeInc

Man I just lash 'em to the outside of my pack and take off. Works good as long as stealth and quietness aint an issue and the weights pretty minimal.

Was going to post a link of the traps but the forum wont let me...

110's can easily be set if you got a little strength in your hands. These work great for smaller anim als like Rabbits and Squirrel. The 220's are pretty tough to set by hand but you can set them with a section of rope and some practice or you can cheat like me and just by the setting tool which is pretty cheap and easy to pack. These are more suitable for Racoon, Opossum, Bobcat, Fox and smaller Coyotes. 330's work great for Coyote, Beaver and simular sized critters. The 220 and 330 traps have a safety latch on them and I would encourage you to use it. If you dont and you trigger it while positioning it they are powerful enough to break a hand or wrist area of the arm. I dont take 330's as they are pretty big and therefore heavier by a good bit and I dont see much use for them in most cases unless you run a trap line.

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I watched a few videos on dead falls. My neighbors let their dogs roam around on the loose all the time. How big do you think a dead fall trap would have to be for a boykin spaniel?
I have enough tree rats (squirrels) around I could get in some really good practice with those, but I'm not sure what bait to use. There's enough nuts everywhere they wouldn't be desperate enough to go into my trap.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Trapping, whether with snares or traps, is just like hunting for deer. You're not going to set up a snare and catch something right off the bat. Just like you're not going to be able to grab a gun and go into the woods and kill a deer right off the bat. Snares work but about as well as a gun. If you are looking for a dependable source of food, you're local grocer is a better bet.

I've run across a couple good internet sources about snares but I hesitate to recommend them as most are really hardcore survivalists and you have to wade through all of that to get to the good parts.

Newanderthal

Long fishing leaders (much longer than this one) make great snares, and they're cheap

The most important part of the equation is location, location, location. Find a rabbit trail in the grass and string up several. Getting them on a well-traveled trail is crucial. The next important part is quantity. It's a numbers game. The more snares you have, the more likely you'll be to have food. String up multiple snares on multiple trails to increase your chances.