Snow Shoveling is Fun...??

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Not too many new posts the past few days...is everybody out shoveling snow?
How much snow did you get?

We had about ten inches a couple of nights ago...on top of several more inches which fell previously.

Good for many of the Western states, but here in the NE...more of a pain in the butt. Road crews here have been doing a good job, though.

No shelter for my UTE, though...so shoveling it off almost daily is another 'pain'...!!

Grandpa

We've been getting a few inches, not enough to make much difference but it all helps. There is about a foot on the level right now but there is little water in it. I started my snow blower yesterday, just to see if it still runs in case something changes.

charley

We got 4-5" the other night topped with 1/4" of ice, that was lots of fun shoveling. More fun cleaning off the autos. We just got an inch of light stuff last night.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The snow at the end of my driveway is about eight feet high. There are roads I travel where it extends to about fifteen feet. This is mostly due to drifting and the front end loader drivers getting a bit overzealous. My woods has about two feet of snow in it which does make it a bit taxing to walk through. I still haven't been stopped but it is getting to be kind of a workout to travel the paths. I suppose the weirdest part of all of this is that in three weeks, it will most likely all be water. I like February though, traditionally the coldest month overall, it is predictable in its' steady temperatures below freezing until those last few days. That is when the new year starts.

For many hundreds of years, the Roman calendar was used and they picked March as the beginning of the year. We use the Gregorian calendar, chosen by a Pope, Pope Gregory, in our modern life. Seems like a good reason, right? Try asinine as the reason.

The Romans named March as the first month of the year, named after Mars, the god of war. This was done because they believed: First comes war, then comes beauty. April was named after Aphrodite, goddess of beauty. That's when all the flowers start to come up.

If you don't believe this, July was named after Julius Caesar and August was named after Augustus Caesar. From that point all of the months were numbered: September (sept- or seven), October (octo - eight), November (nuovo - nine) and December (dece - ten). January was named after Janus, another god.

If you'd like to know more, I'll tell you all about February, May, and June. In the mean time, look forward to the first of the real year, not some weird year dreamed up by a pope who also changed the birthdate of Jesus Christ to coincide with a pagan holiday.

CozInCowtown

Texas had a major snow last week!
Old people and small children didn't make it.
This was the total accumulation of last weeks "Texas Blizzard of 2014".

Grandpa

Last Sunday, the word went out. Fast and pray for snow/rain. We are blessed. Got about two feet, then it started raining lightly. Don't know how much actually moisture we got but it is all appreciated. Not to be greedy but we will take that much more and still be thankful.

AK Hunter

Just shoveling snow is not too bad it is the ice that makes it hard.
Around here (SW Indiana)we don't just get snow it always starts as an ice storm then turns to snow. So that nice fluffy stuff has a rock hard layer under it & at single digit temps it is impossible to get up.
I just hope this winter gets over with as soon as possible, I have had enough white stuff.

Hikenhunter

Last Monday we got 9 inches of light fluff. Wednesday we got sleet,then freezing rain about 4 inches total accumulation that actually gave us a coating of ice over the snow that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. That darn ice is still sticking to walkways and street surfaces and probably will till the days warm up.Yesterday we got another 2 inches of snow and now they are talking about a possible grand daddy of a storm for later in the week. That is just a sample of what we've been getting. I'm not sure when all this winter precipitation started but I think it was the first week of Dec. and it just won't let up. To top it all off we have been having record setting low temps. here since the end of Nov. I'm ready for some 60 degree spring days.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I see that some are getting more snow than here (where it's NOT needed), and some are getting less (where it IS needed). If we could only arrange a swap...!!

Over the next couple of days or thereabouts, we are supposed to have another snow 'event', with no predictions of amounts of snowfall yet.

Currently the sun is shining here, and the temp has gone up to a blazing +9, with much colder temp's for tonight.

Damn that ground hog...!!

Hikenhunter

On top of all that crap we already have it started again last night and snowed untill about 2:00 this afternoon dumping about 14 inches of snow on us then about 7:00 this evening it started to rain. Freezing rain coating everything it touched. After 2 hrs. of that crap it started dumping more snow on us and it is supposed to last till between 2 and 4 a.m. with projected amounts from this second coming to be about 12 inches. The last time I remember a season like this was 1996. I wish we could load this stuff into cargo planes, fly over you folks who are seeing near drought conditions, and dump it on you.We have more stuff projected over the next 6 days and by next week they are looking at temperatures in the high 40's So I imagine we'll be seeing some flooding next week.