Son just announced he wants to go today to look at 4 wheeler

SunnyDay

I'm petrified of these because I see them as dangerous. He is just 13 and he's been saving his Christmas/birthday/extra chore money since he was 10 in order to buy one but I didn't think this day would actually come. He's buying used off of Craigslist and my husband is taking him to see it tonight. Any other moms out there can feel my pain?

Pathfinder1

I'm petrified of these because I see them as dangerous. He is just 13 and he's been saving his Christmas/birthday/extra chore money since he was 10 in order to buy one but I didn't think this day would actually come. He's buying used off of Craigslist and my husband is taking him to see it tonight. Any other moms out there can feel my pain?

Hi...

I'm sure that many parents can feel your concern.

Is there any way...pro or con...that you can get statistics on ATV safety for younger people? News media...Police agencies, internet, etc.?

The worst ATV "infractions" around here are: not wearing a helmet, riding too fast for conditions and riding on public roads.

CozInCowtown

Absolutely Not!!
He is a teenage boy and these things should be outlawed they are so dangerous!!
Teenage boys should stay home with his parents and hang out at old folks homes where it is safe and no possible harm could come to him.
Hell, probably aughta put cushioning on the walls incase he walks to the bathroom and does not hurt himself.
Do it for your child because you love him......
Eithere that or let him have some fun, so what he ends up with a bruise, cut or amputation? He will heal up eventually.
Just set up a set of rules for him to abide by and turn him loose!!
JMO,
DC

Last edited:

Rosie

It's not easy I know. I would suggest that you visit where he will be riding and only allow him to ride in approved places. Is there any sort of safety course he can take?

My kids never had ATVs but I was a basket case when my daughter started driving. Moms are sometimes crazy, it's in our DNA!

oldsarge

What is his purpose for owning one? Does he want to race, have something to ride out and about in nature or does he want to take up free style stunt riding. Sounds to me like he's given this a lot of thought and has had the discipline to save all these years. This show responsibility and commitment. The boy seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. I'd take the lead as a parent to make sure he enjoys this safely with some proper training, maybe Dad should get one also so they can both do this together.

I have to disagree with CozInCowtown, there are a lot of folks who enjoy these machines, young and old alike. As with anything that could be dangerous, early training and proper supervision will make this a safe activity for him. It's the uneducated boneheads that ruin it for most of us.

FreeWilly

Forgive me if I look naive, but aren't ATV's safer than something like a dirt bike simply because they have four wheels? What is the danger in them other than speed, which holds true for all vehicles. Like oldsarge said, young and old people use them and are safe riders.

Grandpa

I live in an area where 95% of the kids either have or have access to 4 wheelers. I would like to say they are safe and they are if proper safety rules are followed. But we do have accidents here by both youth and adults. I agree with the Sarge. It is proper training and responsible operation versus lackadaiscal or careless actions that determine the safety, and not the age of the operator.

WildRover

Free Willy, I don't know about statistics but I've always been under the impression that injuries on a dirt bike were more frequent but less severe and that there is a greater chance of serious injury on an ATV because of their weight. I don't have any facts to back it up, it's just what folks say around here.

Miley

Sarge basically summed up my views on this. Can you imagine a teen boy saving money for that long, when there are video games? I salute your son for such willpower! Set down some ground rules, and let him go.

outwest

If we do not let kids experiment (within safe ways) they are never going to learn. Its just like parent who do not let their kids get sick or get anywhere near germs, no germs, no way to build up being immune to them later in life. You can be safe at any age and still ride a 4 wheeler.

FreeWilly

I guess that makes sense WildRover, about the weight issue. For me I've been on both, but they were mini bikes. I never got hurt on the ATV, but I did mess myself up on the 2 wheeler. It was my fault though, because I went to fast down a hill and hit a jump and flew over the handle bars. I only knocked the wind out of myself and got a few scrapes so I guess I was lucky.

SunnyDay

Fortunately for my heart they came home sans a four wheeler. My husband said it wasn't worth the asking price and the guy wouldn't budge. He'll keep watching the want-ads and craigslist and try again. We had a boy in our town decapitated while riding a few years back and this whole thing really has me freaking out.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have read all of these posts and everybody is right. CozinCowtown stated it well with his tongue-in-cheek style. You have to let the boy grow up. I had the same problem with my daughter, but I'm the one that bought the go kart, the motor bike, the ATV, and eventually the automobile.

I used to watch her like a hawk until one day I realized I was being stupid. You can't protect them all their lives. You've got to let them go and pray that you raised them properly and taught them to use the brain God gave them.

ppine

Forester
When we were kids we built go karts out of lumber with lawn mower engines. We had rope steering, no clutch and no brakes. It was a wonder we didn't get killed. Then we moved on to "motorbikes." If your kid is level-headed he will be okay with commercial motorcycles and ATVs.