Thermacell

outdoorchick

Has anyone tried these? Someone was telling my husband about these and saying that he loved them when he went camping. Apparently, they emit some kind of high frequency sound and keep the mosquitos away.

Grandpa

Not HF sound, they heat a pad of "stuff" sending out an aura of fumes. And they are excellent outside. Each "fuel" kit is a butane cylinder and 3 pads of chemical.

We had one on our Wind River trip with mosquitos as bad as I have ever seen and this gave us a 15 ft diameter sanctuary, even when the wind blew a little.

hummingbird

That's pretty cool. I'll have to look into it. I'm a mosquito magnet most of the time. I guess I'm just too sweet for my own good. :)

Eaglescout 49

Grandpa got it right. These things work and in this time of West Nile and other skeeter-borne problems, they provide another layer of protection. A little pricey, but in my opinion worth it.

campershell

That's a good tip. I'll get one when we go out on our next camping trip. Do they also work with other insects and bugs, aside from the mosquitoes?

briansnat

Platnium Member
I saw a Youtube video where the guy was testing it under windy conditions and it was useless. I've also read a bunch of reviews and the consensus seems to be that if you're fairly stationary and it's not too windy they work great.

Grandpa

I saw a Youtube video where the guy was testing it under windy conditions and it was useless. I've also read a bunch of reviews and the consensus seems to be that if you're fairly stationary and it's not too windy they work great.
When the wind picks up the mosquitos settle down. We found it was still effective even when quite breezy, just move it upwind a little.

Grandpa

Everybody from Walmart to home depot is selling them around here. Do a search on themacell and type in your zip to see a local dealer.

Gentle Ben 1957

Thanks Grandpa, I live in West Texas, not a lot of stores, lots of catalogs, but I seldom read them. I quess I should pay closer attention.

Judy Ann

Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops. Fuel cartridges can be purchased in the beauty supply area of Walmart (used in portable curling irons).