Unusual Wildlife

state_camper

What's the most rare or unusual wildlife that you have been fortunate enough to spot while camping? For us, it was an albino deer, and it was incredibly beautiful. It looked to be very young, and I wonder how long it lived after we spotted it, since albino animals have no natural camo and can't really hide themselves from predators.

Grandpa

Albino deer and a ring tailed cat

I wish I could have seen this bad boy but I didn't. I don't know who to give credit to for this picture. It was sent to me by my sister and she didn't say.

[/IMG]

ppine

Forester
A wolverine, a mountain lion and river otters. I enjoy badgers, long-tailed weasels, mink and fishers. I have been hired to look for black-footed ferrets, the rarest mammal in North America. We only found tracks, and evidence of preyed upon prairie dogs.

A great grey owl.

I would love to see a jaguar in AZ.

Last edited:
What a beautiful creature! I wish I could have seen it in real life.

I think the most unusual animal we've spotted while camping was a beaver, which I know doesn't hold a candle to the picture above, or an albino deer, but we managed to shoot a short video of him working on his dam before he spotted us and disappeared. ;)

BigSky

I once saw a snowy owl. It was the most beautiful creature I've ever seen in my life. We spotted him perched and we got to see him fly too. I'll never forget it.

Mary Beth

I have not seen any unusual animals. I saw an albino racoon on television, and thought that would be a cool animal to see up close. I would probably just mistake the albino racoon for a opposum, though, because they looked similar to me.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Most interesting...different people's takes on what is rare or unusual wildlife. I had to think about that one for a while.

One summer, while driving past a small lake with an apparently unbroken surface...a second glance just happened to witness some type of (apparent) hawk shooting into the air from under the water.

I don't get surprised very often, but this scenario sure did. It wasn't a kingfisher, either.

ejdixon

Beautiful pic, Grandpa!

Haven't really seen much strange wildlife, too. Closest would probably be an armadillo or two.

Marshmallow

We used to paddle up the creeks of the Albemarle Sound to watch a family of otters. They were fun to watch, but we had to be really careful in scouting them out. Almost always they'd hear us before we could get to where they were playing.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I'd have to go with the river otter. They are not really rare but here in the east you don't see many. I've been fortunate enough to see them twice.

lefties

carabao(water buffalo) see them everywhere here. They are docile,,they harness them and use to work rice fields

Subaru Camper

We have seen black bear, bald eagles and the regular deer and other small critters but the coolest thing I have seen is a turtle, yes, a turtle.

OK, so I have seen plenty of turtles in my life but this was unique. While paddling a river in Northern Michigan we decided to pull off to some banks to take a break and have a snack. Upon walking up the bank to a field opening we noticed a very large turtle (not sure of type) and it was just sitting in what looked to be a whole made to fit its body.

As we approached we were very careful not to disturb it and boy am I glad we didn't; it was laying eggs! It sat for awhile as we were there and we actually saw some eggs! The turtle got up after a while, buried the area and got back in the water.

This may not sound like much but seeing all this was absolutely amazing!