What Does It Take To Get On Your Nerves

Qweetzy

There are a lot of things that happen in campgrounds. Loud music, barking dogs, kids running around, all of which can make tempers short. The thing that absolutely pushes my buttons though, is when people decide to cut through my campsite. Nothing else bothers me as bad as someone invading my territory. What's your breaking point?

Refrigerator

I stay away from campgrounds as much as possible. I can only remember once having a negative experience and that was in a campground. Never had a bad experience while Backpacking.

Lorax

When i do use a campground, I only go to dispersed camping or more primitive National Forest campgrounds with no water or electricity. That takes a lot of the crowd away. I have one little gem I go to quite often with my pop-up camper and canoe the two lakes. Even on a 3 day holiday weekend, the most I've ever seen is 8 sites out of 33 taken. Very quiet, very secluded.

Qweetzy

There is a site like that within driving distance of us too. We love the primitive camping area there. I haven't had the pleasure of going to any other than that one, but I guess it does take some of the competition out. At least the one we use isn't used much.

Joe S.

I don't like campsites that resemble a suburban neighborhood. Loud, stinky diesel motor homes the size of Walmart and anal campground hosts really push my buttons.

BCBabe

Well, we kayaked to a small set of islands (nothing major, an hour's paddle) with another couple in the family.

Imagine our surprise when we heard a lot of voices, and a WHACK of cadets being off-loaded onto that same set of small islands: weekend survival training.

Well, the brats were not very considerate, and when they began to play their war-games at dusk, we'd had enough of the intrusions (physical ones into the campsite). My hubby and I have both done time in the cadets and the reserves, and so we went about making sure our campsite was OFF LIMITS to the little hooligans.... think RAMBO, guys, we booby-trapped the perimeter of the campsite.

It only took 2 or 3 cadets to run into one of our little surprises before they got the hint to stay CLEAR of where we were camping; while we could hear them until near midnight, they didn't come anywhere near of encampment after it was dark.... jeez, I wonder why? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

April

It only took 2 or 3 cadets to run into one of our little surprises before they got the hint to stay CLEAR of where we were camping; while we could hear them until near midnight, they didn't come anywhere near of encampment after it was dark.... jeez, I wonder why? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I love it! Wish I had that kind of talent BCBabe! I get irritated when it is 2 in the morning and they come yelling through the trail for no reason and wake my kids up. Then I have to try to get them back to sleep when they want to be up and running around!

Refrigerator

Well, we kayaked to a small set of islands (nothing major, an hour's paddle) with another couple in the family.

Imagine our surprise when we heard a lot of voices, and a WHACK of cadets being off-loaded onto that same set of small islands: weekend survival training.

Well, the brats were not very considerate, and when they began to play their war-games at dusk, we'd had enough of the intrusions (physical ones into the campsite). My hubby and I have both done time in the cadets and the reserves, and so we went about making sure our campsite was OFF LIMITS to the little hooligans.... think RAMBO, guys, we booby-trapped the perimeter of the campsite.

LOL BCBabe....:closed_2:

campclose

The thing that bothers me the most is people that bring pets and then let them run all over. Of course barking dogs sucks too. I don't mind too many other things but people and pets drive me crazy!

CatsEye

BCBabe-Good job! I don't even think I would think of something like that. But it is very smart. LOL

I hate it when people forget everything and then come to our campsite "borrowing" which in essence means "give". *roll eyes*

YogiBear

I hate it when people bring their children and just let them wander around and not watch them. I remember a particular time when a four year old girl showed up at our camp site and we couldn't find her parents. After dark they finally came and got her and only after a ranger had to tell them where she was.

BTBoop

I can't stand to stay in a tent with someone who smokes in the tent. I mean we are out camping and it shouldn't be a big deal to step outside the tent to smoke.

dinosaur

troublemaker
So.. BCBabe, what did you use for booby traps? I like bouncing betties but their getting harder to get now.

MreNow

I had a really annoying one this year at a S.P. for a Hallow weekend. This kid in a Fast and Furrious ride comes flying up the road bumping his base not caring that there were little kids, mine included, running all around. It took some old couple to step in front of him put there hands on the hood of his car and chew him out to at least slow down.

Grandpa

I know a couple of old forest service campsites that are so far back in the boonies, they don't even charge for them. Other than that, park at a trailhead and try to get 8-10 miles by dark. Pure solitary time after that.

hikinmike

I started my daughter car camping when she was about 2 yrs. State Parks were very disappointing. When she was able to endure the treks, it was such a relief to backpack with her. She's now 25, and yesterday sent me a text msg. with attached photo of the BP tent which she'd spent the weekend enjoying beach camping. In our declining years the Missus and I will explore car camping again. Gotta learn about those off-the beaten-path places.

Grandpa

When traveling any distance for a trek, I'll book a motel room going and coming before I'll stay in a public campground.

yosemitefan

My breaking point is loud, drunken parties or brawls late into the night. I notice a lot of people use campgrounds as a place to party, especially minors, and that really ticks me off. Especially if people are camping with their children. Also, people who leave their trash and don't clean up their site. I can't stand that either.