What Was Your Best Trip?

WalkingMan

...or do you have a trip that you value above all the others? I have several, but I think my favorite is the last trip I went on with my son before he went to college. Things change after that even if you go out again together. It's like having another adult instead of your kid.

grand

I can't recall any best trip among all the trips we've made. It seems that the last one is always the best depending on the mood of the company, especially the children.

ejdixon

My trip to Bryce Canyon March last year. I found out this girl that I really liked enjoys the outdoor as much as I do. We've been together since then. :)

FreeWilly

My favorite trip had to be an Alaskan cruise I took a couple years back. The wild life I saw I saw in the ocean as well as on land during shore excursions were just incredible. It was probably the best vacation I've ever had. I'd love to go to Alaska without being on a ship sometime.

Rosie

My best trip was with my two younger sisters to Vermont. We spent the days hiking and the afternoons swimming in the White River. It was so relaxing and it was the last trip we did together before they went off to college.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

My favorite trip would have to be the first time I drove to Alaska from New York State. I stopped to "smell the roses" along the way, so it took me 21 days to do those 5,000 miles.

Did some fishing along the way through Canada...chatted with the last riverboat pilot on the Yukon River. Met him and his wife on their home-made house boat on the Yukon.

Put my home-built boat in on the Yukon and Klondike Rivers.

When camped out in White Horse, I looked around and thought "I bet I came the farthest distance to be here". Well, my camping neighbors were from Austria...!! We went and did the town together. Nice place...I stopped in there quite often.

Whe I reached Alaska (you'll notice this tale has been somewhat shortened), I camped around for a few weeks.

I ended up staying in Alaska for TWELVE YEARS...!!

ppine

Forester
That my friend, is a good story.

My best trip was an elk hunt in Colorado in 1985. I got hired to wrangle horses with an old friend out of Del Norte. My brother got hired as the cook. We packed in about 14 miles to a camp at 10,800 feet in late October. It was below zero a couple of nights and snowed about everyother day. We found lots of cows, but bulls were scarce. After about 7 days I pushed a 5 point bull out of the brush, and my client shot at it twice. We followed a faint blood trail for 2 1/2 hours and found him in the deep, dark timber. I put two diamond hitches on a pair of Spanish mules and rode out. Looking back to check the mules there was a black bear working on the gut pile. He had been waiting for us to leave.

After 10 days we rode home in a blizzard. We had multiple mule wrecks and didn't get back to the trailhead until midnight, and were strung out for miles on the trail. The horses were stumbling from lack of feed after 10 days in the snow and finishing the last of the grain. I wouldn't trade that trip for all the tea in China.

Last edited:

omegapd

My son's last Scouts trip. It was at our local campground (Camp Osborne) and was a Scouts Olympics/Jamboree type of camp out. There were 24 packs of Cub Scouts from neighboring counties/districts and ours came in 3rd place. We had the honor of working with another pack who had two handicapped scouts in their ranks. My boys learned more from these two scouts than I could teach them in two years. It was the most emotional and heartwarming weekend I've ever experienced. That pack came in 1st place and they definitely deserved it. They didn't have the fastest times in the games or do everything perfect- but they were a small pack of about 6 kids total and they came together as a team like you wouldn't believe. It was absolutely awesome to be a part of that weekend and God put us with these kids for a reason. Myself and the other leaders will never forget it and I doubt any other camping trip I'll ever go on will rival it.

Skeeterbait

My best trip was a short backpacking trip me and my mom did in a local state park. :) We didn't go very far or stay out very long, but it was awesome nonetheless.

Grandpa

There is one section of the Sawtooth Wilderness that still keeps me in awe, despite hiking that trail many, many times. So the best hike in my mind, is the first time I backpacked that section. It seemed I walked for three days turning around in circles admiring the beautiful scenery.

A close second would be a non-descript trip into the Jedediah Smith Wilderness when my two oldest grandsons, at the age of 10, made their first "self-contained" backpacking trip, carrying everything they needed themselves. Both had been on many wilderness and NP backpacks but always with Dad or Grandpa carrying part of the gear.