When Do You Start Getting Cabin Fever

SweetSassyLady

We are usually out camping until it gets too cold to do so, which turns out to be late into the fall. About the first few weeks of November we are done with camping for the year but still hike until we get snow falling. When that happens, I have to let it go and stay inside. By the first of February I am so ready to go camping again! I hate, hate, hate staying in the house. How about you?

LindaLou

Well we are lucky enough to be in Fl and don't have to worry about snow. :) But it can still get pretty cold at times and I am not one for freezing! We do like to go hiking or just for long walks in the woods, etc just to get outdoors and it will warm you up after a while. :)

rockytibby

The last couple of years we have been able to camp clear till november. Its cold but no snow yet. Unfortunatly because of late snow fall we cant start camping untill june if were lucky. I start getting cabin fever around march.

ponderosa

Well, in a way I've had non-stop cabin fever since my 2nd child was born, which put an end to backpacking for a while. We made it work with one baby, but can't figure out how to carry two kids, and all the gear. Dayhikes are significantly easier/shorter than our pre-parenting days as well. I miss big mile days above treeline, and multiple day backpacking trips.
On the other hand, we do find ways to get out almost year round. We base camp and hike summer and fall, and cross country skiing is a fantastic replacement for hiking in the winter. Our bike trailer/jogging stroller also has a conversion kit for skis with a harness, so we can pull the kids behind us. It is my favorite toy. It quite literally saves my sanity year round. We sometimes stay in a forest service rental cabin or yurt since snow camping with little ones is pretty challenging. Around here, spring is tricky. There is a period when the snow is too sloppy for skiing or snowshoeing, but also too deep and unstable for good hiking. This year, that season has been especially long. We try to schedule a trip south (Moab or Zion usually) sometime in the early spring to get through the worst of the cabin fever season.

freedommachine

All year I have cabin fever. Camping in the snow is no big deal for me and my wife. We have one of those Big buddy tent heaters so we can keep a tent that is getting pounded by snow in the 50 to 60 degree range and be very comfertable. Even with out the tent heater camping in the snow is still very fun.

Grandpa

I used to camp out every month, then began to only avoid Dec and Jan, due to unpredictable weather, but now grandkids and other old man hobbies make it tougher to get away in the winter. The cabin fever starts about 15 minutes after the last trip in the fall.

DThewanderer

I am the same way as Jasper. As soon as the realization that camping season is over I start to get cabin fever. I might get through a week while keeping busy with house repairs. But I can't help but start to get antsy and wish I lived someplace warm year round.

CatsEye

I don't like indoors-at all. It's a shame we live where the weather isn't compatible (at least for me) for camping during the winter. I would really, really, like to be able to camp all year long. I can't stand being idle indoors. I love being idle outside.

Judy Ann

We are usually out camping until it gets too cold to do so, which turns out to be late into the fall. About the first few weeks of November we are done with camping for the year but still hike until we get snow falling. When that happens, I have to let it go and stay inside. By the first of February I am so ready to go camping again! I hate, hate, hate staying in the house. How about you?
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t X 2!!! One of the benefits of living in the Carolinas is winter camping on the coast. No one around, no mosquitos or no seeums, no traffic and no humidity. The niece and nephew were wearing their swimsuits around the camp in early March...out of their ever-loving-minds IMO. Now I wait to see where the coolest location in the mountains will be for my week off each month...one more day and counting!!!:cheer2:

Grandpa

: Now I wait to see where the coolest location in the mountains will be for my week off each month...one more day and counting!!!:cheer2:
Easy to find cool here. That's why I carry a 15 degree bag. We will definately be in snow next week.

Judy Ann

Have fun playing in the snow Grandpa! It was a 100 degrees here yesterday in the shade, by a lake at 5pm. I know because I had to drive an hour to set up a tent for my nephew and his engineer dad. So much for REI's color coding system. I thought that it was fairly fool proof...who'da guessed!

If you happen to think about it, please throw a little, tiny snowball at the "turtle lady" in your group for me and tell her I'm looking forward to hiking in some powder on this side of the continent one nice fall day in the not too distant future!!!

Be safe and have a blast!!!

Judy

Tigger

I hike year round, period. I don't care what the weather is or the temperatures. I can't ever recall cancelling a trip due to weather. The only time I've cancelled was due to safety issues (winter solo). Fall, Rainshell goes on. Winter comes and on go the snowshoes. Having the right gear to prepare for anything you may encounter isn't cheap but it's worth it to me.

IndianaHiker

I don't really get cabin fever either as for the same reason Tigger mentioned. If anything I do slow down for the months of July, and August as I don't like the heat so much. However I am back at it when the weather cools and I love fall and winter.