Who says they're not dangerous...??

Pathfinder1

Hi...

The newest Field & Scream on-line has an article regarding a black bear that attacked and killed an oil worker at an Energy Plant in Canada. RCMP told CBC news they received a call just after 2:00 pee em May 08, stating a large, male black bear had attacked a worker. Authorities declared the woman dead on the scene, but were able to shoot and kill the bear, which remained in the area.

Investigations are being conducted by various agencies.

NOTE: They're fat, friendly-looking, and USUALLY run away from humans...and you aren't carrying your bear spray...?? I think that carrying bear spray in Black Bear country is the equivalent of wearing a life jacket on the water...!! Or wearing your helmet when on your bike...!! But, to each their own (unfortunately)...!!

bsmit212

You know I have never carried bear spray before. Might change that though. Like you said, they normally run away, but it only takes the one that does not.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've always had an unwavering distrust of any carnivore or omnivore that outweighs me or can outrun me or both, singly or in packs.

ppine

Forester
Pathfinder,
Thanks. This happens more than people realize.
I have told the story before of my neighbor working up at Lake Tahoe. Eight different bears made the rounds each day on the property where he was working. A new bear showed up one day, watched the workers timber framing a house for about 25 minutes, and then charged my friend. He barely made it to his truck and a pistol. The bear never came back.

troutstalker

Davy Crockett just grinned a bear down in his day hah! On a serious note, people are the problem. People need to stop feeding the bears. Here in NY the saying goes "a fed bear is a dead bear". Once they get educated, they become nuisance bears then the Ranger has to kill them. Back in the 60's a bear at Racquette Lake learned that if he got on the trunk or hood of a car and leaned his back into the glass to push it in he could get the food inside. They tried to relocate him but returned and they killed him. They will associate humans with an easy meal ticket especially if they have a cooler. They only want the food,not the human!

ppine

Forester
We are talking about two types of black bears here. The habituated campground and residential bears are dangerous because they don't fear humans. They show up in people's yards, on the deck and sometimes come in the house without knocking. They are mostly well fed and a nuisance because they are always around. Their maulings of humans are incidental and not very common unless they are cornered or provoked.

The article is talking about mostly wild bears that struggle to find food during dry years, certain times of the year or when they emerge from hibernation. A small percentage of black bear's view humans during these times as prey. These are some dangerous bears that kill people deliberately and with forethought. Carry bear spray at least, and a firearm if you are trained in how to use one.

Simplify

I have had three encounters with black bears. On one encounter all I did was shout and he ran away. On the other two they pretty much minded their own business. I always carry bear spray because, as the article pointed out, there could be that one that could be aggressive.

wvbreamfisherman

if it has teeth longer than mine, i take precautions.
Anything that weighs as much or more than I do, has teeth longer than mine, and claws strong enough to climb a tree deserves my respect and a wide berth.

Never had a close encounter with one, closest I ever came was seeing the south end of a northbound bear as I came around a corner on a trail. I'm just glad it wasn't the northbound end I was seeing.

wvbreamfisherman

if it has teeth longer than mine, i take precautions.
Anything that weighs as much or more than I do, has teeth longer than mine, and claws strong enough to climb a tree deserves my respect and a wide berth.

Never had a close encounter with one, closest I ever came was seeing the south end of a northbound bear as I came around a corner on a trail. I'm just glad it wasn't the northbound end I was seeing.

ppine

Forester
I have had encounters with 100 bears, some had humps. Fortunately none were white.

Some of the encounters were at 30 yards, some were from 8 feet and one was within 18 inches.

All were unpredictable. And a few were really scary.

Grandpa

I have a great photo collection of animals I have taken pictures of in the backcountry. Unfortunately, I have no good ones of a bear. It seems every time I have the close up opportunity to snap a photo of Yogi, I have higher priorities on my mind.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

However, despite some good photos of moose, the big deer has caused me many more near heart stopping moments than bears.

Pathfinder1

I have a great photo collection of animals I have taken pictures of in the backcountry. Unfortunately, I have no good ones of a bear. It seems every time I have the close up opportunity to snap a photo of Yogi, I have higher priorities on my mind.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

However, despite some good photos of moose, the big deer has caused me many more near heart stopping moments than bears.

Hi...

Same here, Grandpa...!!

ppine

Forester
Moose are nothing to mess with either. I have seen them in Wyoming and Alaska mostly. Up North there are two kinds of trails in the bush. Tall skinny ones near streams (moose), and short, wide ones (bear) almost everywhere there are trees.

ChadTower

Yeah, if you're in Maine walking a trail towards the water and suddenly start seeing rings of bark missing from trees, find another trail. The moose don't like you. Moose are pricks.