Winter Camping

Itchy_Ivy

My friend is trying to make me go camping this winter. I don't really think it is a good idea. For those of you who go camping in the winter, what is what you like most about it? How much more difficult is it? What do you do during those trips?

Refrigerator

It there is snow and plenty of that beautiful white stuff...rent a pair of Snow shoes.
Winter time offers me many things. Gives me a different perspective on scenary and everything around me. Test my skills and gear to keep me comfortable. Justifies why I purchased that expensive clothing just for winter. Less people on the trail.

Be sure this person has plenty of experience winter camping. Good sleeping Bag and Clothing, Boots,Foods and stay Hydrated are all vitaly important.

If I take a new comer to winter camping I ask them to do some day hikes first working out there gear glitches and comfort zone.

Winter camping can be very rewarding to you if you are prepared. Winter will offer you a new dimension in your outdoor life and offer you a higher level of awareness about yourself.

Chary

Winter camping can be just as fun and exciting as camping in the summer. The only difference is that in the winter you have to make sure that you keep yourself, your fingers and feet nice and warm. I enjoy camping in our RV in the winter because it is easier to stay warm.

le Metis

Nothing finer then listening to snow fall on the tent, and the crunch of powder when snowshoeing an unbroken trail. Food taste better, and the air is cleaner. Winter camping may not be for everyone (thankfully), but you'll never know until you give it a go....

backyard_camper

I'm planning on camping this week. Yesterday after work I checked out a few campgrounds I plan on staying at. I can see why some people like winter camping....there was no one there. Trying to get my son to join me but so far the answer is no. LOL. My neighbors' kid is up for it though. There was a few inches of snow up there too.

campershell

I have never tried winter camping before, but refrigerator makes it look very interesting and a unique experience. I may try it this time somewhere close by.

scotott

What everyone else already said, plus....keep this in mind, when winter camping..."cotton kills". If you wear cotton clothing of any kind, odds are good you'll be sorry. Especially if you get wet, whether via rain or waterways, or sweating, hypothermia is a real possibility. Makes a huge difference wearing wool, or synthetic materials.

I love winter camping. Last year, had a chance to build a mushroom snow cave, and 5 of us stayed comfortably overnight, while a nasty storm raged outside. A little on the outside of what you might do on a first trip, but it is unbelievably comfortable.

Enjoy your trip!

Michael

I've only gone winter camping once, but I learned a very valuable lesson: Unless the bottom of your tent is totally waterproof, put down a tarp or foot underneath the tent.

I didn't. I woke up in the middle of the night drenched and freezing. My body-heat had melted the snow beneath me, which then proceeded to soak up through the tent, through my ground pad, through my sleeping bag, and through my clothing.

It was one of the most genuinely awful experiences I've ever had.

Refrigerator

Use a footprint year round for your tent as this will protect your floor from the ground grit and small objects giving your floor some longevity. Tent floors exposed to the ground and Rain Flys exposed to the sun take the most punishment and you could throw in the zippers too..

MendyUSA

Dito what Michael said very important you use closed cell foam for you sleeping pad. I carry two Ensolite brand pads any closed cell will do. Do not use open cell foam for a pad. Two reasons 1 your body will not be insulated well enough as your heat will be lost through conduction as it snakes its way through the open cells. 2 Open cell foam absorbs water, it's a sponge, not good. If you choose to bring two pads you can use the second pad as a stand pad or chair when you’re hanging out around camp cooking etc. then move it atop the other pad when you turn in sans snow of course. a little natural compaction under your body is normal but a deep depression indicates bad insulation. I like Michael do use a ground cloth under the tent. I use my space blanket shiny side up for added insulation. Any radiant heat loss will be reflected back at you. Very very important if you go the ground cloth route to fold it under 6 or 8 inches so it's smaller than the tent floor. So a 7'x7' tent would have a ground cloth about 6'x6'. If you don't fold it under (or cut it smaller or buy a foot print) you just pitched your tent in a very nice bath tub. In summer rain will run down the side of the tent and obviously collect between the ground cloth and the tent floor. The floor will leak. In the winter any snow will slide off the tent wall onto the ground cloth and melt against the warm tent wall with floor seam. I almost forgot you might want to bring a little pad for your stove too so it doesn’t melt into the snow but a shovel can work for that too.