Your feet, to hike, really?

outwest

I was talking to a coworker about the coming trip and they suggested we get new shoes, specifically Skechers’ Shape-Ups. I see no point in this, isnt it just a get slim fad quick gimmick kinda shoe?

Judy Ann

I'm not sure what type of trip that you are planning, however I'm wondering if the shape of the sole would be good on anything but a flat surface. Might throw off your natural gait and cause some other problems as well. You might want to read up on them and ask around before making a purchase.

Michael

I don't know, but that seems like an awful idea to me. If you want to get into better shape by walking, running, or hiking, then walk, run, or hike longer/hillier trips, and do it more often.

calanta

I wonder if all shoes that are targeted for a specific market are actually worth it. I mean I know some have to be but I would like a breakdown before spending a ton of money on any shoe. I prefer barefoot. :)

southerngal

I agree with some of the others about if you want to lose weight and get in shape then get out there and do more. I too am suspicious of shoes marketed just for one market. I like my footwear to be more versatile.

T

tentrus

What trip are you taking? If you are going to be hiking - shapeups are not the shoes to wear. I would not buy them ever, I think it's a fad and I don't see any difference in the people that are wearing them.

oldsarge

I think it's a gimmick, they might be putting undo strain on your feet, ankles or calves to give you that "worked out" feeling. Put some arch supports in you shoes and walk a bit, they feel really good at first. Give it a while and they start hurting all over. I feel unless they are designed by a doctor specifically for your feet, you may be asking for trouble. These new shoes by Schechers my not be designed to be worn all day either. Remember the "Earth Shoe" back in the early 70's where it was raised up in front by the ball of your foot to recreate the angle of you "Natural" foot? Ya right....still see those around....figure the odd on that!

ChadTower

I asked my chiropractor about them. He said they are either a chiropractor's dream or nightmare depending on that person's ethics. The calves, ankles, etc are mostly a nonissue but it's a horrible idea for the spine and knees.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I was talking to a coworker about the coming trip and they suggested we get new shoes, specifically Skechers’ Shape-Ups. I see no point in this, isnt it just a get slim fad quick gimmick kinda shoe?
Yes, however its supposed to replicate walking in sand barefoot, if you've ever done that you know how hard it is.

So gimmick yes, waste of money most likely.

calanta

I wonder if the interest peeks enough for profit, they might end up making a special edition for hikers? Its not like you do not need the support and an extra calorie burned would be great.

WalkingMan

It's really hard on the balance. I've seen more people fall from these things than anything else. I was listening to a doctor on the TV the other night, who was saying these were a horrible idea and they had no effect on the calories burned. I think they would be a particularly bad idea for hiking where you are on uneven surfaces-a lot!

Michael

I asked my chiropractor about them. He said they are either a chiropractor's dream or nightmare depending on that person's ethics. The calves, ankles, etc are mostly a nonissue but it's a horrible idea for the spine and knees.
That's roughly what I would have guessed. Good to get a professional opinion on the matter.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Speaking as someone who is no stranger to weight rooms and running tracks, my observation would be that training tools are for training, not for the actual athletic endeavor.

Telna

I agree with the others who say it is not a good idea. It seems like a gimmick to me. They also just don't look like a good shoe to hike in. I think you are better off with a shoe that is easier to keep your balance in.

oldsarge

Speaking as someone who is no stranger to weight rooms and running tracks, my observation would be that training tools are for training, not for the actual athletic endeavor.
Exactly...We've been walking all our lives, now if I want to go into the woods I need to buy a pair of shoes that throw me off balance to prepare me for it, lets get real here. What better way to train than to get out there and do it, just be smart about it and don't try to tackle it all the first day.