Dealing With The Heat

Adventurelover

This is the best time for me to go camping anymore. In the spring it's not too hot and not too cold. I can deal with the cold but the heat of the summer really gets to me anymore. How do you deal with the heat when camping in the summer?

Pebbles

We try and go someplace that we can enjoy some water activities during the day. That's always a good way to cool off. Other than that, dressing in light colors and drinking lots of water.

jason

fear no beer
Bring lots of water and stay in the shade. :) There is a spring you can go camping by a few hours north. The water is always cold there I think 72 degrees. The problem there though is the camping spots are crowded.

campclose

We always camp where we can swim. It's the best way to keep cool during the day in the hot summer days. So that is what we do, swim :) My favorite camp ground is the one that has the waterfall.

Chris

I don't mind the heat, it's the cold that gets me. If I get cold, my arthritis is horrible. I would rather camp out where there is some shade to get into if it gets unbearably hot.

hummingbird

I would rather camp either in the spring or in the fall. If it's summer, I go swimming or fishing or something in water. The heat really gets to me if it's above a certain level. I do like to get out into the forest even when it's hot because it always feels nice there.

grand

I go camping in the forests where there are trees that provide a cool shade and there's a natural spring or a lake for swimming and other water activities.

SQuirrel

I do not do well in the heat either. Thats why I stay out of the desert between april and september.

I fancy myself a canyoneer, and a canyon can be one of the best places. Often times up to twenty degrees (F. for all of you sensible metric users) cooler. The walls of a canyon keep the sun down to just a few hours a day in the right spots, and all that water tends to stay nice and cool. I can recall a few times hiking out of a canyon too early in the day, and either turning back, or just refusing to go any farther into the heat.

Outdooruser

I don't like the heat either. We try to stay in the shade and we camp down by the water. It seems to keep it a bit cooler. I do not like the cold at night though. I try to keep the fire going all night long.

Smokey

We always try to find an area with a lot of trees and near water to help beat the heat. My wife also makes sure that we drink lots of water so we don't become dehydrated.

southerngal

If we camp during the summer we try to head up north to the mountains. It's not even a possibility for us unless there is a lot of shade because we all sunburn really easily.

javen

I wore light-colored clothing when we camped last summer. Water bottles are always packed on my bag to help keep my body hydrated against hot temperature and I always bring sun protection with me like hat, sunglasses and sunscreen lotion.

jesse

We had a record heat summer last year and I used a portable air conditioner inside the tent. Just requires a site with electric hookups! it worked well...i wasn't the only one with a portable ac, so I didn't feel like a weirdo. The highs were in the 100's and I had to do something to help me with my addiction to camping. The 9500 btu AC worked ok during the day if it was right in front of you, but as soon as the sun went down it got real cool with the ac. This was a 11x11 size tent, no full rain fly and mesh on top...a smaller tent with full rain fly would do better.

Newanderthal

I wait for the hottest day of the year (around 113 during the day, 94 at night) and do a short hike and camp. then, when I spend the whole night sweating and being eaten by the Louisiana state bird (the mosquito) I remember why I avoid camping in the summer. then I don't make the mistake again for a few years.

My advice, if you can't sleep without sweating, don't bother camping. Go canoeing, short hikes, swimming, etc. But when the sun drops, call it a day and hit the showers. sleeping in the heat will only make the whole experience seem miserable.

frank6160

Shade, water and battery operared fans are how we deal with the heat. It gets plenty hot and humid here in the south and thats about all you can do. Hitting the water 2 or 3 times a day to cool off helps also. I began camping in early spring a few years ago and thats enjoyable nothing like a cool night campfire and then snuggling into my sleeping bag for a nights rest.

Bumpkin

being eaten by the Louisiana state bird (the mosquito)
Lol, I know what you mean, Newanderthal. That's what my husband calls mosquitoes too. They actually can ruin my camping experience way more than the heat can. Sweating I can deal with, being eaten alive I can't.

failghe

I try to stay in the shade, drink plenty of water, wear loose fitting clothing, and clothes that are meant for the heat. Light and whisk away moisture. Also I try to relax and take my time doing things.

Hilltopper

I'm the biggest wimp in our family when it comes to heat. I found something called a cooling neck wrap and see if that helps me keep from melting this summer. We also try and go someplace where there's swimming.

The Scout

This is the best time for me to go camping anymore. In the spring it's not too hot and not too cold. I can deal with the cold but the heat of the summer really gets to me anymore. How do you deal with the heat when camping in the summer?
I don't. Rather Winter camp than attempt sleep during Summer's heat. Not to say I never have Summer camped, but to me camping should be a comfortable experience. Some can hack the heat, some cannot.

Usually plan these outings for Spring and Fall.