kayak or canoe?

HikingGuy

I am wondering which would be easier with a 4 year old as a travel companion a kayak or a canoe? He loves coming with me but I wish paddling was easier.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The canoe will be safer. Sit at the very back with the child between your legs sitting on the floor.

HikingGuy

Thanks for the info. I figured that the canoe would be safer as well. He likes to come with me and enjoys the water and the outside nearly as much as me.

jason

fear no beer
I would go with a canoe, and get a portal seat for him so it can sit lower then a normal canoe seat. This will give a lower center of gravity and make it harder to fall over into the water.

staime

What exactly is a portal seat? I know some parent friends that might want to do this if it works the way you say it does, but I just don't understand it without "seeing it".

Fox38

Canoe most certainly. They are slower and just better. You can keep an eye on him more and have him help row the canoe. Make sure he has a life jacket on.

HikingGuy

That seat may be a good idea on all fronts, my wife suffers from back issues and cannot canoe because sitting or kneeling in the canoe nearly kills her back, we will look into this for her and our little fella.

le Metis

The canoe without a doubt...besides PFD's for all, consider doing some self rescue drills close to shore such as boat entries, and the use of a throw bag....

ChadTower

Definitely the canoe.

Don't need a portable seat. Just put a plank across the bottom of the canoe. You can cut it to the length that will let it sit at whatever height in the canoe you want. He can just sit in the bottom of the canoe instead, of course.

At his age be 100% certain his lifejacket is in proper condition, fits properly, and that it has a waterproof whistle on it. Teach him to blow the whistle if the canoe flips over. It could save his life or yours.