Can you camp in the Grand Canyon?

puddle jumper

My kids were watching of all things, The Brady Bunch. It was the episode where they travel to the Grand Canyon, ride mules down the canyon and camp out at the bottom. I was just wonder if this is still possible and if anyone here has ever done it?

faye

No I have never camped in the Grand Canyon. There's nothing wrong with camping there as long as you camp in the designated camping area and obey park regulations.

woodsman

Never done it, but it's on the list and to the best of my knowledge yes you can camp there, it's considered a national park if I'm not mistaken so that means you have to obey the house rules.

Ms. Nibbles

I'm not sure if you can camp at the bottom of the Grand Canyon or not. You can ride down on the mules, though, and I know they have a lodge and restaurant at the bottom. There are several camping areas on top that you can use.

le Metis

Yes, I've backed packed and camped the Canyon. You won't need a permit for a mule ride, but , if you elect to use your feet, then you will. One of my favorite places to camp in the Canyon is at Bright Angel Falls, a wonderful place to rest up before pushing on for the climb out.
If you have sons who are Scouts, the Grand Canyon Council in Phoenix has trail awards...I wear the Rim to Rim, Rim to Rim to Rim, and the Havasupi to River segments....

caveman

I would think that you still can . I did it about 30 years ago . It was FANTASTIC . If your afraid of heights its not something you want to do . The trails are very narrow with shear cliffs . Hiking on foot was a full day in a full day out . Not for someone who is not in good shape . But it is one of the best trips of my life .

rainey

We camped on the rim and had coyotes wake us up several times during the night with their howling and snuffling outside of our tent. It was awesome!

ssimps03

Grand Canyon

You certainly can camp in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I have done it twice. If you ride the mules, you have to reserve about 1 yr in advance and you stay at Phantom Ranch. For backpacking, there is a process to go through about 3 months in advance, or you may be able to show up first thing in a.m. at backpaker's office and get a permit if there are any left. THe first time, we stayed at campground near Phantom Ranch, next day hiked 2/3 way out of canyon to Indian Gardens campground and on the next day, the last 1/3 way out on the Bright Angel trail. There is an awesome hike from Indian Gardens to Plateau Point. We watched the sunset there. It was awesome! The 2nd time, I was 5 months pregnant and I found about about a duffle service. For $52, a mule will pack out 30 lbs of your gear (that is what it cost 10 years ago). Best money I ever spent and I will definitely take advantage of that again!

Reflex

We wanted to do a rim-to-rim hike this year which means camping two or three nights "in the bottom". A back country permit is required which means faxing in your request 6 months before your planned trip. MANY more people apply for the permits than the number of permits available. We applied June 1st for an October permit since we didn't get one for May, which we'd applied for on January 1. We didn't get the October permit either so we're just gonna do the 4 day hike up to Machu Picchu next year and try the Grand Canyon again in 2012.

boothtec

Yes you can still ride a mule down. I know they have a trip where you spend the night at the lodge and I'm pretty sure they have a camping trip as well. I am sure that the trips are booked over a year in advance, so plan ahead. If I remember correctly there is only one vendor so a search should turn up the website.

Grandpa

An old thread but here goes. Yes, there is camping all through the canyon. Couple years ago, we went in on the Grandview trailhead and came out the So Kaibab trail spending 5 days in there following the Tonto rim. Permits required and a waiting list so plan ahead. We got our permits in January for an April trek. The key is water. Even if you have your permits, check with the rangers before you go in to know where the springs are still running. You may have to carry up to 3 gallons if one of the springs is dry on the tonto rim trail.

ejdixon

My kids were watching of all things, The Brady Bunch. It was the episode where they travel to the Grand Canyon, ride mules down the canyon and camp out at the bottom. I was just wonder if this is still possible and if anyone here has ever done it?
Not sure about the mule ride, but as far as camping is concerned, yes you can still do some camping there. My girlfriend and I took a camping trip there last year. Stayed at the North Rim campgrounds to get away from all the crowds.

ppine

Forester
Of course. I have hiked in the Canyon for years, but finally floated the river for a week in 2002 with lots of opportunities for side hikes. A raft trip down the Grand Cyn is a dream. We rolled out on the sand bars each night and used a tent only once for a rain storm. The Canyon is inverted world looking up thru a slot at the sky. Unlike rim world where we usually have expansive views from mountains.

Campgrounds on the two rims, backcountry in the Canyon.

I will be talking with Ross Knox at the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, NV in a few weeks. He packed the mail and supplies in the Cyn for decades. He is a great poet and mule man also.

Don't think of Phantom Ranch as a resort. It is a small collection of little rustic buildings next to the river. I have floated under the swinging suspension bridge next to it.

A mule concession has existed in the Cyn for over 100 years without a fatality. It is no accident that mules are used instead of horses. They have good feet, stamina, and a high level of self preservation, with less flight response. Mules used to haul tourists train usually for year hauling freight with sawbucks and panniers (panyards). Many wash out of the program. Riding a mule in the Grand Canyon is one of the scariest rides on earth. Do not take it lightly, and don't weigh over 200 pounds or you can't qualify.

Last edited:

hiking_and_biking

We wanted to do a rim-to-rim hike this year which means camping two or three nights "in the bottom". A back country permit is required which means faxing in your request 6 months before your planned trip. MANY more people apply for the permits than the number of permits available. We applied June 1st for an October permit since we didn't get one for May, which we'd applied for on January 1. We didn't get the October permit either so we're just gonna do the 4 day hike up to Machu Picchu next year and try the Grand Canyon again in 2012.
Wow, I had no idea that you could camp in the Grand Canyon, or that you would have to plan so far ahead to be able to do it! This is definitely going on my list of places to visit!

Can you tell me more about the trip you're planning to Machu Picchu? We watched a documentary about it recently and we'd love to be able to see it one day!

Grandpa

setting up for a dry camp on the Tonto Trail, Grand Canyon NP

[/IMG]

Mule train on the South Kaibab trail, Grand Canyon NP

[/IMG]

ppine

Forester
Hiking and biking,

Machu Picchu is an awe-inspiring place to visti. Keep in mind however, that the Inca Trail that leads to it is really high in elevation. As in consistently over 12,000 feet, sometimes 14,000 feet. Plan on at least 4-7 days to acclimate, and bring a light pack.

CozInCowtown

Remember, canyon hikeing is opposite of mounting hikeing.
It is easy going down hill but you gotta haul all that crap back UP when you are done.
DC

georgia_outdoors

Grandpa - GREAT pics! I would love some pics like those to add to MY photo album!

CozInCowtown - Good advice about mtn climbing vs canyon climbing. I had never thought of it that way, but you're right - they are opposites.

Of all the camping we've done over the years, I can't believe it's never occurred to us to go camping in the Grand Canyon. Now that I've seen this thread and read a bit about it, I'm psyched and ready to go! (Other than the fact that we're not even on the waiting list, yet, lol.) When is the best time of year to camp in the Grand Canyon?