Backpack weight

paloma

How much is too heavy? Is there a ratio between body weight and backpack weight? I feel a constant strain on my shoulders and back whenever I carry a backpack around.

Refrigerator

paloma/ Constant strain on your shoulder is a sign that the pack is not adjusted correctly or the wrong size pack, maybe carrying too much of a load, possibly packing your pack you have the weight distributed incorrectly throughout the pack. Try and go to an outfitter store and discuss your problem with them, and if you have more than one outfitter resource talk to a second. Mainly go to a Backpacking outfitter, especially one that sales the brand pack you are carrying.

outdoormarc

Survival Guru
too heavy is when it takes more than 1 hand to pick up your pack :)

I'd say anything heavier than 12 to 20 lbs with food and water for a 3 day trek.

IndianaHiker

The model is that a person in good health should be able to carry 25% of their body weight. For some in better than average shape 30%. However sounds to me that your pack wither is the wrong size for needs to be adjusted to fit you better.

outdoormarc

Survival Guru
Fitness to pack weight ratio has nothing to do with each other. The more weight the worse off you are! You can carry 40-50lbs all day for 3-5 days, not me!

Peesalot

paloma/ Constant strain on your shoulder is a sign that the pack is not adjusted correctly or the wrong size pack, maybe carrying too much of a load, possibly packing your pack you have the weight distributed incorrectly throughout the pack. Try and go to an outfitter store and discuss your problem with them, and if you have more than one outfitter resource talk to a second. Mainly go to a Backpacking outfitter, especially one that sales the brand pack you are carrying.

Excellent answer!

Outdoormarc, most people who only carry 12 lbs on a 3 day trek would most definitely be considered an ultra light backpacker! Either they are going without comforts of a sleeping pad, tent, and sleeping bag, or they have the money to spend on the super expensive ultra light gear. My husband and I split our gear and have invested in the light weight Big Agnes sleeping pads and light weight sleeping bags and our Sierra Designs Alpha 3 Convertible All Season Tent is only about 5 lbs which we also split up, but I still can't manage getting my pack to weigh any less than about 35 to 40 lbs. Which includes the 3 liters of water that I carry in the bladder. I would definitely be more inclined to think it is more of what refrigerator has mentioned above. My pack is generally heavy when we first start out and especially so as we climb upward, but my pack carries it well and the hip belt does the job it's supposed to. A good fitting pack is definitely key! Skimping out on some items to lighten the load may be doable, but not worth being without in my opinion.

IndianaHiker

I typically carry 30 to 40 lbs and still cover 12 to 15 miles a day in an area with lots of elevation changes. I could go lighter but they are limiting factors. First one must carry water and for the most of the year where I tend to go there are not water sources you can depend on. I normally need to carry 3 to 4 liters of water which weighs about 1lb per liter. You cant go without food. This leaves me to the biggest limiting factor for me. The cost of ultra light weight gear. While my gear is not the bottom of the line to reduce my weight to much more than 30 lbs for a three day hike I would have to spend a large sum of money. There are lighter weight choices for gear but I have had to settle for the middle ground in order to be able to enjoy this hobby. Sounds like someone must have a good deal more money invested in their kit than I to do 3 days on 20 lbs.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I agree. Unless you are in the military where they carry a 90lb. pack, 40lbs. is about right. The only advice I can give are the three things most important about your gear assuming it is quality stuff. These three things are miniaturize, miniaturize, and miniaturize. That's why I always try to check out new products that someone has made smaller, lighter, or more efficient.

Michael

I normally need to carry 3 to 4 liters of water which weighs about 1lb per liter.
1L of water is about 1kg, which is about 2.2lbs. So 3-4L of water should come in at roughly 6.6-8.8lbs. (Conversions are approximate and ignore the temperature of the water.)

[/nitpick]

I tend to pack pretty light, with an ultra-light tent, pad, and sleeping bag. I carry a light knife (Mora), a small saw, and a small shovel. I bring extra clothing, a first aid kit, and a few small odds and ends (small thing of bug spray, small flashlight, etc).

With all this stuff plus food and about 3L of water for a night, my pack comes in at maybe 20 pounds, tops. I'd obviously need some more food for more than an overnight. I can save weight on water by bringing only one bottle and using water purification.

In warmer weather, I travel a little lighter. In cold weather, I travel a little heavier. The stuff above is a kind of average that assumes I need to bring long pants, extra socks, a light fleece, and such. If it's the dead of summer I can cut a lot of that weight by bringing fewer clothes and a light blanket. If it's down near freezing, I add a few more pounds for extra warmth.

As long as I'm not sprinting on the uphills (which I do when I'm bored), I can carry my kit for a while without getting tired. I got used to carrying an unbalanced bag with about 10 pounds of books, netbook, and water to class all day. 20 pounds spread out well in a balanced and adjusted pack isn't much harder to carry.

I suppose I could hike for a bit with 30-40lbs, but I don't think I'd want to. :)

IndianaHiker

Michael you are right about the weight of water. Must of fat fingered and hit the 1 and not the 2. Sounds like you have some nice gear. Here is the big 4 that I carry

Pack Terra 65 (4lbs 11oz)
Buy The North Face Terra 65 Pack

Sleeping Pad Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (1lb. 5oz.)
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Mummy Pad

Sleeping Bag
Mont-Bell Super Spiral Burrow Bag (2Lbs 8Oz)
mont-bell :: Super Spiral Burrow Bag #3

Tent one rare occasions I bring one Coleman Inyo2 (4Lbs 14oz)
http://www.elitedeals.com/coexinsote.htm

Big 4 12Lbs 4oz
Water 6Lbs 6oz
First Aid 1Lbs 6oz
Total 20 LBS

Never looked at it this way before I am at 20 Lbs before I even add food cloths, and whatever else I bring. Most additional weight is food as calories are burned when backpacking. Other item is pot for cooking but not much weight there as it is a MSR titanium pot. Problem now is reducing weight without spending way to much money. Looks like tent, pack are biggest hogs. That and could invest in better clothing for layering in winter as there are lighter materials that are as warm but they are costly. Dang for a cheap hobby you sure can spend fast doing this.

Last edited:

Mentalfloss1

Once as we were going into the Canadian Rockies a young guy flew buy us and teased us about our heavy packs. He was an ultralight guy and a nice person.
We ended up camping near him when the weather turned bad. We had three days of rain, sleet, snow, high wind, and not much visibility. On the second morning he came to our camp and was obviously in trouble. He was wet, having trouble talking, and asked for help.
We sat him in a tent, gave him hot drinks and oatmeal. I offered to go get his dry clothes but he had none. His ultralight sleeping bag had become soaked under his ultralight tarp and his no stove, no spare anything approach had failed him.
We packed up his stuff and walked with him for a mile or so back toward the trailhead. He was ok once he was walking. Besides thanking us he repeatedly said that he'd carry more gear in the future.
There's a happy medium and we all have our own preferences.

jake_6_6

Fitness to pack weight ratio has nothing to do with each other. The more weight the worse off you are! You can carry 40-50lbs all day for 3-5 days, not me!

So true! The more weight you can shave, the better off you are, no matter what. I do agree with others here tho who have mentioned the pack may not be adjusted to fit you correctly.

jake_6_6

Once as we were going into the Canadian Rockies a young guy flew buy us and teased us about our heavy packs. He was an ultralight guy and a nice person.
We ended up camping near him when the weather turned bad. We had three days of rain, sleet, snow, high wind, and not much visibility. On the second morning he came to our camp and was obviously in trouble. He was wet, having trouble talking, and asked for help.
We sat him in a tent, gave him hot drinks and oatmeal. I offered to go get his dry clothes but he had none. His ultralight sleeping bag had become soaked under his ultralight tarp and his no stove, no spare anything approach had failed him.
We packed up his stuff and walked with him for a mile or so back toward the trailhead. He was ok once he was walking. Besides thanking us he repeatedly said that he'd carry more gear in the future.
There's a happy medium and we all have our own preferences.
referring to my previous statement, of course you have to be smart about WHAT you shave the weight off of. haha sounds like the guy in your story may have skimped on his essentials.

Grandpa

For a base weight, my dry pack is 15 lbs. (Hiking mostly in the Northern Rockies, this prepares me for sub freezing temps and possible snow at any time.)Start adding food at about 1 1/2 lbs a day, and extra clothes (mainly socks, gotta have clean socks here) and for a 10 day trek, prepared for snow, I will weigh in dry at 32-34 lbs.

I adhere to the 30 % rule in good physical condition that Indiana mentioned. That means if I weigh (which I should) 180 lbs, I can carry 54 lbs without significant loss of efficiency. However, I don't weigh 180 lbs any more. Grandma fed me too good and I now weigh 200 lbs so that extra 20 lbs I am packing has to be included in my 54 lb limit. And my observation is a 34 lb pack makes it a struggle to keep up with the crowd. And a struggle does not make a trip very fun. I can still manage an 8 mile day, but unless I lose some fat weight, the 14 mile days are now behind me carrying a full pack. And my age has nothing to do with it. It is that extra 20 lbs of fat that has to go.

Lamebeaver

How much is too heavy?
You're asking the wrong question.

The correct question is, "What is the minimum I need to bring and still be safe and comfortable."

People tend to overpack "just in case." Examine every single item you bring. Other than a small first aid kit, if you don't think you will use it, then don;t bring it.

Multi-use items get put high on the list. Heavy items get thrown in the corner.

ppine

Forester
Michael,

How come you get bored when you are backpacking? Would it help to go see some place new and different? Maybe some new companions would help. It helps to be very selective in chosing outdoor partners.

edit-I don't see the point in having someone else decide what we should carry on a backpacking trip. It is one of the most personal decisions to make in the outdoors. Les Stroud can get by with a 5 pound back. I like the story
of the ultralight guy and his difficulties. The toughter the conditions the more margin for error needs to be considered, and that usually means more weight. I have backpacked for over 50 years, and do not carry as much as I used to, but am very happy under 40 pounds.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Mentalfloss1,

Thanks for sharing a great story. A lot people only backpack in mild weather with lots of help around. Canada, Alaska and the nothern Rockies are a different story that require a larger margin of error. The same can be said of really remote trips.

dinosaur

troublemaker
All true. I always feel comfortable in a temperate climate. This, however, includes temps that range from around 100 degrees to -20 degrees which pretty much covers you for most of the planet. It does not cover the little and big nasties that inhabit the area.

A bushmaster is deadly but quite tasty. A grizzly is huge but makes a nice rug and a lot of smoked meat. A rhino or a hippo are things you should stay the hell away from but they are pretty good eating. Mountain lion is delicious but I wouldn't reccomend it as game.

Having the right stuff with you is a question of forethought and willingness.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
How much is too much?
If you swear a lot after 1 mile and your shoulders are in pain after 4 miles.

There is so much lightweight stuff out there, some pricey, some not. Average person can loose 5 lbs by just getting some cheaap light stuff and removing uneeded stuff.
The old saying goes "Take a sharpie and mark everything you use. If you go out three times and come back and it's not marked, toss it. Except for the first aid kit."

I went out on a NC mountain hike with 34 lbs and decided it was time to lose weight. After $280 I was down to 27 lbs with food and 2 liters of water. Another $600 and say hello to 19. See a pattern here? To get down to 12 lbs it might cost in excess of $2000. Think I'll stop where I'm at. Mrs Gunny says I have too much now.