Sleeping In Hammocks

Isaac

I like to take a Hammock with me when I am backpacking. I actually made my own homemade hammock and I carry a lightweight frame in case there are no trees available to tie to.

jason

fear no beer
I used to sleep in my parents. I found it very comfortable. I have thought about trying hammock camping.

3ofusnow

I have never thought about using a hammock while camping or backpacking before but I have had many afternoon naps in the one in the backyard! :)

Outdooruser

I wish I could tie a hammock off in my tent. It would be more comfortable (I think) than sleeping on a mattress. I bet it would be warmer also because you are not laying on the ground. Those mattresses get cold at times.

2coastcamper

Although I've never slept overnight in a hammock, I've take many a mid-day naps in the things. I've always been comfortable. The next time I go out solo, I'm taking my new hammock with me.

Flowerchild

I haven't slept in a hammock for years. We use to have a couple out in our yard when I was a kid. My mother use to let my siblings and I sleep out under the stars. It was great!

Alexis

I never thought about taking a hammock camping, but it does sound like a good idea. I don't know that I would want to sleep all night in one, but it would be nice to have it at the campsite for an afternoon nap.

javen

What a good idea! I have never given it a thought to camp around and sleep in a hammock. Maybe I should buy a hammock made of rattan but it maybe difficult to fit it in the car.

grand

I always sleep in a hammock strung in a shade at midday when camping. Can't take it inside the tent at night because it is crowded.

Hilltopper

I guess I'm the odd one here, I move around quite a bit when I sleep. I don't think I would be comfortable in a hammock all night. Plus, I don't know if I've really recovered from the flipping incident at a family picnic when I was 10.:unsure:

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
hammocks

Hammocks are fun, but highly uncomfortable if you need to turn at night. Almost impossible. Nevertheless, I slept all night in one in Cass, W.Va. during a rafting trip in the winter. (Yes, you can raft in the winter)
I nestled inside a thick sleeping bag which made turning easier - a nylon womb more or less, which made it slippery.
On my stomach, my back arched badly - it constantly hurt to stay in that position for more than five minutes.
My friends thought it was funny. During the night, when we set up the sleeping arrangements in below zero weather, I had inadvertently tied one end of my hammock to a stout sign post. It said, "No Camping".
By the way, camping in hammocks on vertical rock faces is de rigeur in some places.

Michael

One of my friends has a camping hammock that has a bug screen and rain fly. She says that it's really comfortable, nice and cool for the summer. It's apparently a little awkward to climb into and out of, especially if you're not totally awake yet.

At some point I plan to try something like it out. They replace a tent and sleeping pad, but weigh about as much as either one and are about as bulky as my single person tent. Overall, it sounds like camping tents are great for light weight summer camping.

oldsarge

While being stationed in Panama, we used hammocks often. They were a great treat from sleeping on the jungle floor. We experimented with ways of constructing overhead cover using our ponchos to keep the rain off and also attaching our mosquito nets inside. One thing I can say...stay away from those prefab jungle hammocks with the netting and rain fly built in. Everyone I know who bought them ended up using it on the ground as a 1 man shelter. From my experience, you have to pull the hammock so tight that it's like being wrapped in a cocoon. Once you body weight is in the hammock the top rain fly sags and leaks big time!. You are much better coming up with your own design for over head cover.

Refrigerator

Old Sarge/ That is exactly where I had my first experience with Hammocks was in Panama JOTC Fort Sherman. Clark Jungle Hammocks made those back in the day...I currently own several brands now including a Bridge Hammock being my most comfortable Hammock.

oldsarge

Refrigerator: Nice meeting someone from Fort Sherman! When were you there? Sometimes while out hiking around I'll set up a hammock just to kick back for a while. It's been a long time since I've spent the night in one. I will definitely look into a Bridge Hammock. In Panama we tried everything from custom spreader bars to inserting those issued foam sleeping pads into them. You should have seen some of the set ups, they would have made you laugh. Of course none of these could have been used tactically. 95% of my time sleeping in the jungle was curled up under a poncho with my mosquito head net and black gloves. Good times!

tacomazach

I have an ENO hammock. I love backpacking with it. The problem I've run into is that it is only good in perfect weather conditions, warm and dry. ENO does however make outer layers for warmth, bug nets, and rainflys. but after you get all of this, your pack is heavier than it would have been when packing your tent. And when backpacking. the lighter the better

Refrigerator

Refrigerator: Nice meeting someone from Fort Sherman! When were you there? Sometimes while out hiking around I'll set up a hammock just to kick back for a while. It's been a long time since I've spent the night in one. I will definitely look into a Bridge Hammock. In Panama we tried everything from custom spreader bars to inserting those issued foam sleeping pads into them. You should have seen some of the set ups, they would have made you laugh. Of course none of these could have been used tactically. 95% of my time sleeping in the jungle was curled up under a poncho with my mosquito head net and black gloves. Good times!
I was there Dec 1972. Yea I spent many nights in a poncho and how could I ever forget about those skeeters. Learned much about Map and compass navigation there too.

Here is a link to Bridge Hammocks... Jacks R Better-Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock

le Metis

I have a love/hate relationship with these things....worthless in the desert, and above the tree line. Sleeps cold in the winter. About the only place where I'll take one is when I'm swamp running on the Mill Pond being that there is no dry ground.......

Last edited: