Hiking Poles

steve

OK, so I have been looking at hiking poles. I need some help though. I see prices from $10 to over $100. I have never used poles, and I understand you get what you pay for, but what is the differences between a $10 pole and a $100.

Do you use poles? Do you like them?

What about the wooden walking sticks? Do they work just as well?

Do you use one or two poles?

Jane

We have used wooden walking sticks for years and they work just fine. My inlaws actually carve out their own and they end up pretty nice. We have also bought walking sticks from Indian Shows when they are in town. A good walking stick has helped me up many a hill and I feel like if I do come up on a snake or another critter; I have a chance at defending myself.

jason

fear no beer
I have been looking for one. I used a friends when I was carrying the baby on my back it I felt it helped. I feel like I was more stable on the mud parts of the trail and felt I had a better posture. It has caused me to start to look. I would prefer a wood one however. I have even looked through amazon.com to see if I can find a good how-to book on making my own walking stick.

justontime

I have used a home made walking stick and I found it helpful, but I have avoided hiking poles, they look so ridiculous.

kernow

I wouldn't use hiking poles for much the same reason, I do have a sturdy stick that I use sometimes.

dinosaur

troublemaker
OK,what is the differences between a $10 pole and a $100?
It's just one man's opinion but I think the difference between a $10 pole and a $100 pole is the amount of money you are willing to throw away.

I have a walking stick. I cut it myself from a young hickory. It's six feet long, an inch and a half in diameter, weighs several pounds and is strong enough to lift a small car. I made it as a quarter staff and it is quite useful as such. I fought off two assailants with it once a long time ago. Since then I have used it for trail walking. It helps to climb hills. It's also quite useful for a hikiing partner to grab so you can pull him up through sugar sand or over a rock that's tough to navigate.There's nothing like a good piece of hickory.

Morgan

Great job dinosaur! I'm interested to see a dinosaur using a stick. :D

The price difference of the poles doesn't really matter. Sometimes we buy things according to their name. For example, you can buy a Nike shoes or buy a pair of shoes with unknown name. Both shoes will work well but the Nike has a name so it will have a higher price.

I normally use my own walking stick like dinosaur.

Flatlander

It's obviously a personal preference. I happen to use poles to lessen the load on my knees and back on trails with steep bits. If you're like me and have back issues, chances are that a single stick won't be of much use since your shoulders/back will likely be out of alignment the whole time you're using it. If you're intending to get the added benefit of using your upper body to propel you up a hill, a stick probably isn't for you, either.

However, if you happen to be accosted by a band of merry men, a good piece of hickory can scarcely be beat. Sure, poles will hurt, but aren't likely to render anyone unconscious. A walking stick has sufficed for thousands of people for millennia, so clearly they're effective for those who choose to use them. And there's no doubt that you can find the same price range for walking sticks as you can poles.

If you don't hike frequently, buy a cheap set of poles. If you do, and you use them, you'll see the difference in value/price within a season or so. I wouldn't choose to lean against anything that's only worth $10, but then I might be afraid to lean on something that cost over $100. Borrow a set of poles and a stick from a buddy or two and see which works best for you before you sever a digit or part with wasted money.

mi77915

It's just one man's opinion but I think the difference between a $10 pole and a $100 pole is the amount of money you are willing to throw away.
I tend to agree with this!!! I use a single trekking pole that I got from Walmart for $10. It collapses and uses the same type of locking system as the more expensive poles (just check the patient numbers, they are the same!!). Just my 2 cents.

oldsarge

I purchased a set of adjustable poles from Target for under $30. On one of them I cut off the very top at a slight angle and used epoxy putty to mount a "D" cell Mag light holder to it. I then heated up the holder with a pocket torch to soften up the plastic enough to relieve some of the tension a bit. I now have a holder for my GPS while hiking. If I can figure out how to upload a photo in these posts, I'll show a picture.

Last edited:

tacomazach

I tend to think it all depends on how long you're hiking or backpacking. I generally use a nice wooden staff when on a short hike. But when I'm backpacking for a week or so I take my poles. They relieve a lot of weight off of your knees and back and are very helpful on hills. When doing long hikes like this, I tend not to really care to look cool and go for comfort and ease with the poles.

IndianaHiker

Difference in the cost is weight, material made of, the locking mechanism, and if they have shock absorbers as well. I love my trekking poles Black Diamond Syncro Elliptic. I always take them with me rather it be a short day hike or a multiple day outing. Part of the additional cost is if you purchase a higher end product like Black Diamond, Leki, or others is that these companies stand behind their products. My Black Diamonds have a lifetime warranty.

Mi77915 Have a friends that got some form Walmart as well. Does you have the cam lock or twist locks. If it is the cam lock there is a screw that needs to be tightened after almost every use with those and this may fix your problem.

Last edited:

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
When I hiked the Narrows in Zion, I was really glad to have a stick. (I rented from the outfitter there because I did not want to deal with getting a stick through the airlines. There were some other hikes where I was walking in or frequently crossing water when I was glad to have a stick. Otherwise, the weight seemed to have been better spent on something else.

I have not seen that price really mattered.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Flatlander, very well said, and so extremely civilized. My apologies for being so bestial. But, I grew up in the woods. I was not suckled by wolves, contrary to local beliefs. I do, however, tend toward uncivilized behaviour.

Sorry.

Refrigerator

Indian Hiker/ Black Diamond has good Gear and those poles are top notch. I do not have that set but I have sen them used bu others and they rock for quality and are very dependable.

IndianaHiker

Indian Hiker/ Black Diamond has good Gear and those poles are top notch. I do not have that set but I have sen them used bu others and they rock for quality and are very dependable.
Had these for 4 years now and still going strong. Haven't even had to replace the carbide tips. I started out in this game always getting the cheapest gear I could find. After a couple of years and replacing gear that failed have since stopped that practice. I have spent more money replacing stuff than I would have to had I bought quality the first time.

Flatlander

Flatlander, very well said, and so extremely civilized. My apologies for being so bestial. But, I grew up in the woods. I was not suckled by wolves, contrary to local beliefs. I do, however, tend toward uncivilized behaviour.

Sorry.

No worries. I hope I didn't offend. It was not my intention. But SOMEONE had to take the "pole" point of view! :tinysmile_twink_t:

hikingshoes

I have a set of BD ive had for yrs,and love them.Poles are good for alot of things,helps your knees,legs,use to move a snake if you have too,also use them to look bigger to the bears.,Use them as tent poles if your tent calls for them.Im looking into those antishock poles,to me there better on your joints.lol,you dont think of that in your 20's or 30's,but 40's things chg.Happy trails,HS