ATVs in the neighborhood

Starling

I would love the idea of an ATV, I really would. They look pretty neat, are fast, and bikes just cannot compare to them.

Except, that in my neighborhood, people don't realize that ATVs are supposed to be ridden on trails- not on roads and streets.

This morning I was heading to work and almost ran into a four-wheeler just zooming right in front of me without care or caution. The police here are very lax in our neighborhood. They come around maybe once every other hour to check for any illegal things going on, making it convenient for all the neighborhood kids to enjoy their rides without even thinking of the way they are affecting other drivers.

I really hope the problem gets solved, but this has been going on for a while. I can only hope I don't accidentally run into one.

GPER

There is nothing you can do other than try to listen for them while you are driving. The atv riders need to responsible for their actions. It sounds like they might be kids, so that reflects back to their parents for not teaching them how to ride on the road. I wonder how many even wear a helmet.

Starling

Oh, they don't wear any helmets, and they are kids. There's only about 3-4 of them in the neighborhood, but that's enough to be a danger for any vehicle. Last month we did call the police because one of the kids (who coincidentally lives right across the street), was driving up and down the street for hours without a care in the world about it being wrong. It stopped for a week or so before the kid started up all over again.

ChadTower

There are a few people in our neighborhood that work on them in their driveways. I really love listening to them rev an ATV engine all afternoon on the weekend. I really, really do.

Bobby

... one of the kids (who coincidentally lives right across the street), was driving up and down the street for hours without a care in the world about it being wrong..
There is a kid near me who rides his skateboard (no helmet) down the middle of one lane of the two-lane road. When the traffic behind him gets too long, he switches to the other lane. If you honk at him, he gives you the finger, without even bothering to look back at you.

This is usually in the hours between school and dinner, and the kid looks like late Jr High or early High school. I'm betting his parents are still at work and have no clue.

FireBuilder

Sounds like these kids are just looking for some attention. Most ATVs are not street legal, are they? Mine specifically say not to ride on paved surfaces.

jason

fear no beer
Our neighborhood has been flooded with gas powered toys while the kids are on break from school. A few seem to be racing down the streets against each other, ignoring stop signs. The parents do not care, which are the same ones that yell at you for doing the speed limit in the neighborhood as going too fast.

Starling

Sounds like these kids are just looking for some attention. Most ATVs are not street legal, are they? Mine specifically say not to ride on paved surfaces.
I don't think they're street legal, though I never really looked up the law on it. I just assumed it was illegal because kids should not be operating gas-powered vehicles in the first place.

I'm sure they just want attention, but that's a dangerous way to do it. Thankfully ATVs are at least a bit big and quicker to notice but they've also zoomed around on dirt bikes before as well.

BCBabe

A vid of someone riding an ATV on a public street would likely net them a ticket and a serious fine, where I live: ATV's aren't licenced and insured, that's a public safety issue, and there's enough rural areas for the law to apply to snowmobiles too.

If they aren't licenced, you can't ride 'em on a public street. Period. And if you do, the Boys in Blue are going to take it seriously, and fine the rider &/or the parents.

I'm not worried about the riders hurting themselves, that's their right to choose the risk. I take issue with the safety factor and lack of insurance that can put an innocent at risk: could you afford to be off from work for 6 mos to heal from injuries sustained by being hit by one?

Without insurance, that's the reality.

ChadTower

Mostly I'd rather not have to powerwash a 14 year old out of my front wheel well because he cut 6 inches in front of me on a cheap dirtbike.

Rider One

Fortunately, the people in my neighborhood realize what ATVs are for. I've never seen one being ridden on city streets, or even in the county. I don't think there is anything you can do about it, either.