Camping with Eggs

FireBuilder

Whenever I need to bring eggs on a camping trip, I always crack them at home and bring them in a thermos. No need to worry about broken shells or making a mess.

Rookie

I some times boil them at home and at camp smash them up like scrambled eggs.
Freeze Dried Eggs are my last resort.

I like the boiled egg idea.

Do the freeze dried eggs work in recipes? I can't imagine eating them plain (scrambled, etc.), but maybe in pancakes?

twodogs

steven randall
I have a special plastic container that I carry fresh eggs in, that works real good , A little heavy for back packing maybe, but works good in a cooler, Ive drop my cooler and kick them around and the eggs were not broken.You can get one at most camping and sporting goods store.

ChadTower

Whenever I need to bring eggs on a camping trip, I always crack them at home and bring them in a thermos. No need to worry about broken shells or making a mess.

I'll usually put the whole dozen container in a ziploc bag. Sure, sometimes they get broken, but the mess is contained.

ChadTower

How often do they get broken that way? Seems like it would break more than it wouldn't

Rarely. I'm not taking them in a pack or anything. They sit on top of everything in a cooler in the bed of my truck. I am mostly a family state park camper these days by necessity.

John13np

Ah gotcha that makes more sense then :D

Yeah this site gets a little confusing on who's the park campers and who's the backpackers :p

striker

I'm not a big fan of salmonella so I usually don't take eggs with me on long trips, but for when they get prepared on the first day, I got a hard plastic egg holder that will keep them from breaking.

hikingshoes

Take the egg carton and cut in half(which is 4eggs),put the eggs back in the carton and tape them up and put them in a zip-lock bag.Wal-mart has a egg carton to store eggs in too.Hope this helps.HS

BCBabe

Um, powdered eggs? I don't care to have the real thing with me, they break, they spoil.

IMP's and IRP's were where I first encountered them, I sought them out, and without regret.

jloomis

I almost always bring a couple raw eggs when I snow camp to mix in my cup noodles soup. A little extra protein goes along weigh. I simply wrap the eggs in paper towels or tissue before placing in a small tupperware container. They then go in a tote bin with the rest of my gear on my pulk sled. I have carried the eggs this way for miles and have yet to break one. As an added bonus I have a paper towel or tissue to use after unpacking the eggs.

Grandpa

When we were kids, we packed them in oatmeal. Ate the eggs with one breakfast, the oatmeal with the second day breakfast. Now, Mt house ham and eggs is just fine with me every other day on the trail.

Refrigerator

I almost always bring a couple raw eggs when I snow camp to mix in my cup noodles soup. A little extra protein goes along weigh. I simply wrap the eggs in paper towels or tissue before placing in a small tupperware container. They then go in a tote bin with the rest of my gear on my pulk sled. I have carried the eggs this way for miles and have yet to break one. As an added bonus I have a paper towel or tissue to use after unpacking the eggs.
Jloomis, are you the guy who has developed fishing gear that is top quality on the market?