Ccw

April

Anyone have a CCW? I am taking a class in March to get my concealed weapons permit. My dad has talked me into getting one as I have to move to a dangerous city for work (transfer or get canned).

Grandpa

No, we are an open carry, stand your ground state and since all our professional criminals have moved to Wisconsin, Illinois, DC or New York, I don't feel the need to hide mine. (The criminals have more job security and less professional risk in those states) But if you want more general information, here is a good website.
Concealed Carry, Reciprocity Maps, Concealed Weapons Permit

'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.'
~ Thomas Jefferson

I'm a firm believer that a gun causes crime like a pencil causes misspelled words.

Trabitha

I've got mine...but we also live in an open carry state. I just don't like the looks, so I prefer to conceal. The issue with our state is that if you have a conceal carry and are carrying your permit, (which is required if you're concealing.) and someone SEES your weapon by mistake they CAN report you and you can be charged with "brandishing your weapon" and they can take it away.
If you open carry, they can only claim you were brandishing your weapon if you remove it from your holster.

Just make sure you know and understand ALL of the laws in your particular state. Also be aware of where you are and are not allowed to have your weapon. If you forget and get caught it's not fun. ;)

BCBabe

Wow, you can't do that up where I live: the average Joe isn't permitted to carry, and you've got to go through Hell to get a handgun permit in the first place.

Shotguns and rifles have to be licenced, and yearly: there's actual laws about how and where they can be stored, and if you 'forget' to renew that licence in a year's time, the boys in blue will show up on the doorstep seeking to confiscate your weapons.

dinosaur

troublemaker
~ Thomas Jefferson
Actually, this was said well before Jefferson and had to do with beating swords into ploughshares. What Jefferon did say:

One loves to possess firearms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks. -

Last edited:

Benny

I don't carry one. You just never know - sometimes having a weapon on you can get you into a lot of trouble. You will be tempted to use it in situations where you probably wouldn't.

hunter44mag

I disagree with Benny. Having a weapon doesn't inspire you to use one. An unarmed person has another name, victom. I have a CCW, have had it for almost 8 years, and am about to renew. In all that time, I have pulled my weapon only once. I did not have to fire it, just the sight of it was enough to make robbing me less attractive. I hope I go through the rest of my without firing it at a human, but I refuse to be a victum.

greensteelforge

No, we are an open carry, stand your ground state and since all our professional criminals have moved to Wisconsin, Illinois, DC or New York, I don't feel the need to hide mine. (The criminals have more job security and less professional risk in those states) But if you want more general information, here is a good website.
Concealed Carry, Reciprocity Maps, Concealed Weapons Permit

~ Thomas Jefferson

I'm a firm believer that a gun causes crime like a pencil causes misspelled words.
Wisconsin has been an open carry state for a long time, and if all those bad m'er f'ers from Idaho are looking for better pastures for crime, I doubt they care about concealed carry. Once a criminal draws his weapon, your gun isn't likely to do much but get stolen right along with your wallet, if it doesn't get you shot first. Carry if you like, but you're kidding yourself if you think a hidden pistol offers much more than a feeling of security.

sleepymule

Yes, I do have the permit. I carry maybe half the time. It doesnt make me feel like Rambo but the feel of the steel next to my heart does make feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Ive never pulled or needed to, hope I dont. Still searching for MY carry gun of choice, now evaluating the KELTECH P-11. Trigger pull is waaaaaaaaaay to long! Waiting on the Ruger LC9, maybe it will be better.

April

I disagree with Benny. Having a weapon doesn't inspire you to use one. An unarmed person has another name, victom. I have a CCW, have had it for almost 8 years, and am about to renew. In all that time, I have pulled my weapon only once. I did not have to fire it, just the sight of it was enough to make robbing me less attractive. I hope I go through the rest of my without firing it at a human, but I refuse to be a victum.
Vary well said hunter44mag! I agree with you completely and would NEVER pull it out if I didn't think either myself or my children were in real grave danger. If I wanna 'play' with a gun I rather my shotgun on the sporting clays field!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I disagree. I had a robber pull a gun on me once. Mine was bigger.

Carry is just what it indicates. Deployment and your ability to do so are another issue. Use is the key factor. Having a gun does not mean you can easily turn it and use it on a human.

I am very much aware of my ability to do so. It is a terrible thing. After a while you get used to it but you never get over it.

Last edited:

Qweetzy

I live in an open carry state but with the turn of events lately, I'm seriously contemplating taking a concealed to carry class. I can use a gun but I prefer not to. I have been in the situation where one would have come in very handy. Once I was driving in a nearby large city, a man pulled up beside me at a red light and started rolling down his window. He had a large knife and was getting ready to get out of his car and try his luck. My luck that night was good since I had my pistol in the seat in plain sight beside of me. All it took for him to change his mind was for me to pick it up and show it to him. He ran the red light.

Seven

I have my CCW and it would be really strange for me to live in a open carry state. I have never even been to a state that was open carry that I am aware of.

oldsarge

Hoping and praying that Illinois adopters the CCW soon. I'm all for it and would carry if I could. Just another tool in the tools chest of self defense. Although I feel more people need to be trained in the proper ways to protect ones self. Sometimes going for a weapon can get you killed.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Sometimes going for a weapon can get you killed.
Generally this is only true when your adversary is looking for it, when his or her senses are attenuated to a potential threat. I think what we are looking at is the average thief who believes he or she has the upper hand. What has been statistically proven is that the last thing a robber expects is to have a lethal weapon drawn on them. In some very notable cases it is the last thing that runs through their mind.

guns4570

Washington state has open carry and concealed carry. The issue of open carry has been pushed, some people don't like it but it stands. To get a concealed carry permit is $45-$50 and a background check by the county Sheriff. The biggest problem with many peopled that have a concealed carry and actually carry is that they are un willing to pull the trigger when push comes to shove. About six years ago a crazy walked through Tacoma Mall with an AK47 shooting, shot several people. Shot 40 or 50 rounds. The one person who could have stoped the crazy had a concealed carry permit. He pulled his pistol but would not fire at the crazy. The guy wound up a paraplegic, the gunman shot him. Many people that have never been in combat or law enforcement are affrayed to pull the trigger because they have mental block about shooting another human being. As we teach in hunter safety, never point a loaded gun at any thing you are not willing to shoot. Only the first shot counts. This maybe pragmatic but after participating in three majer military conflicts I plan on being the one going home at night.

Grandpa

Salt Lake City, Trolley Square mall. Crazy came in with a shotgun mowing people down. A person with a concealed took him out. Unfortunately, the person with the concealed was an off duty policeman from another city rather than a regular citizen. So the fact he was a cop took the press away from the advantages of concealed carry. Fortunate someone had a gun because the crazy had a bag full of ammo and was reloading as fast as he was shooting.

CozInCowtown

I don't carry one. You just never know - sometimes having a weapon on you can get you into a lot of trouble. You will be tempted to use it in situations where you probably wouldn't.
That is BS logic in that comment.
If you do not feel you are mature enough to handle the responsibility of a concealed firearm for protection then that is a wise choice for you but not for most other people.
I have been CCW since Texas first put them in place back in the Klinton era.
I have had to pull my revolver twice in defence or we would have been hurt by the felons who were trying to assault us.
Once with my wife, who also is a ccw and packs her 38 also, and once when alone with my kids in the pickup.
Both times just the fact that the pistols were with us defused a bad situation. Escelation of force was not necessary once we were no longer defenceless victoms.
Benny, I am a mature law abiding adult and have never been "tempted" to use my pistol except to protect myself and family.
I doubt the majority of other adults here have a problem either.
If you think being legally armed will get you in trouble then just be another sheeple in the crowd, that is your choice and your right.
JMO,
DC