Whiskey Dogs

jason

fear no beer
first take 2-3 lbs hot dogs
1/2 diced onions
1 cup whiskey
1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar , packed lightly
using a crock pot , cut up the hot dogs into bite sizes, mix all the ingredients very well ,
cook several hours on low heat til the hot..

This was sent by a friend. It sounds good, with the exception I'm not a ketchup fan. I may try it anway.

Jane

That sounds delicious. The alcohol cooking into the hot dogs gives it a great flavor. I would probably use barbecue sauce though, instead of ketchup.

Chris

My, that sounds good. I wonder if there is something you can use instead of the whiskey? I'm sure the alcohol would cook out of it but I just don't like the taste of whiskey. Could you use soda? That would give it a sweet flavor and that's what I cook ham in.

jason

fear no beer
I do not see why you couldn't use soda. I often hear of people using coke or rootbeer to cook with.

greengrass

Wow, that's a great way to cook hot dogs. I've never even thought about using alcohol for them. I wonder if you could use beer and substitute brats instead. We love bratwurst. A good homemade sauerkraut and brats is the perfect meal.

Taggart

I'd love to try those. Doesn't the alcohol do something in the way of breaking down the meat? If that's the case, I think the effect may be different if you substitute soda for the whiskey.

I've also heard of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce and this recipe sounds like it may be similar.

HereToday

Sounds great, but I don't think my veggie dogs stand up to crock-potting. I wonder if I could substitute raw potato or sweet potato chunks? I might have to try that...

Taggart

I wonder if I could substitute raw potato or sweet potato chunks?
I love sweet potatoes. Are they healthier than normal potatoes, as far as starch, etc?

I like them french fried, when I'm stepping out of the diet box.

Nate9000

the whiskey and the brown sugar seem to make this. i would probably throw diced carrots into it aswell. perhaps potato's

HereToday

I love sweet potatoes. Are they healthier than normal potatoes, as far as starch, etc?

I like them french fried, when I'm stepping out of the diet box.
Taggart, I should know (but don't) the starch and calorie info on the potatoes.
For me, I think sweet potatoes are better in the health question when I bake them. I only use butter/margarine on them, but on normal potatoes I tend to go way overboard on the butter/margarine and sour cream!!!
This recipe would definitely be non-added fat, I think. Now, what happens to the potatoes after they're on your plate, I can't say!

Last edited:

3ofusnow

Wow, that's a great way to cook hot dogs. I've never even thought about using alcohol for them. I wonder if you could use beer and substitute brats instead. We love bratwurst. A good homemade sauerkraut and brats is the perfect meal.
This works really well I have done this a few times. You can also just boil in beer on the stove instead of in the crockpot, but to me the crockpot gives a better flavor I guess because they are in there longer.