Swimming in lakes.

evergreen

Most of the people I talk to don't like swimming in lakes or rivers for that matter because they are afraid of whirlpools, I swim a lot and mostly in natural reservoirs of water, yet I have never came across one, it makes me think that people are just paranoid. Did anyone come across whirlpools did you find them that dangerous?

CBatch

I don't care to swim in lakes but I will if it's the only spot there is to cool off. I don't like all the critters in the lakes, I don't have a fear of whirlpools. I don't care for snakes at all.

crosscountry

If I didn't swim in lakes than I wouldn't swim, since I am surrounded by 4 of the 5 Great Lakes! We also have a bevy of smaller inland lakes. To my mind they are some of the cleaner bodies of water and I have never had a problem with snakes, just some fish!

Bobby

I've never had a problem with whirlpools. I just tend to worry about whatever rocks might be lurking under there that I'm going to trip over or slip on.

Paige

Our local lake has a beach made for swimmers. It's a super place. They keep it very clean and there is a lifeguard on duty at all times. They also have showers for afterward. They have it roped off for everyone to know where the safe parts end. They put in a lot of sand and cleared the bottom where the swimmers can go. It's really nice.

oldsarge

Whirlpools? Unless there is a major earthquake, I don't think they pop up just anywhere. If I'm wrong I'd like to know it, please tell! Last time I saw a whirlpool Han's and Gertrude were thrown from the raft.

Sophia

I love swimming in lakes! I did it growing up as a kid, and I still do it with my kids. I've also swam in lots of rivers. You just always have to be careful, but it is so much fun.

Grandpa

Daily swims in the lakes and streams and reservoirs are the norm for most of my hiking pards. This includes rock diving as well. Rocks and cold water are the only worries we have. On a hot day, a jump into snow/glacier fed lake can shut you down upon impact. Been there done that, so I shy away from too cold water. Never seen a true whirlpool in a lake or reservoir. I even carry a thermometer to make sure the water is not too hot or too cold.
You might check my album, "swinging good time" to see what the kids do.

Last edited:

LittleLady

I don't like to swim in lakes because of rocks and snakes. I've never thought about whirlpools, ever. I didn't even know that was a concern actually.

jason

fear no beer
Down here you have to worry about snakes and gators. Not saying I haven't done it, but you do need to check some things out before going to some swimming holes.

Grandpa

Down here you have to worry about snakes and gators. Not saying I haven't done it, but you do need to check some things out before going to some swimming holes.
Right on Jason. While we use the mountain lakes to the utmost, You couldn't get me any where near water that might have water mocs in it.

At least our rattlers won't chase you down:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

hikinboot

I make sure I wear water shoes. We have a river we always swim in. It is a power dam so you have to stay away from that, but other than that, no issue.

Sarah

I've been swimming in lakes and have never seen whirlpools, so it must occur in specific areas. I've seen water moccasins while at the lake, but I tend to see them in either early morning or early evening, so I do my swimming during the day time.

freedommachine

Out here in the west most of the moutain lakes me and my wife swim in are crystal clear. Most lakes we enjoy are fed by snow melt. I am not going to lie,I am so glad I dont have to worry about gators,water mocs,pollution.The only thing I see in the water are water skippers(cool bug)and rainbow trout. The lakes we go to have white sand for beaches. The white sand is volcanic ash. Exploding gas bubbles turn the pumice into ash. Theres entire forests with a white floor Makes for really beautiful beaches..

freedommachine

You know that is a good question. Come to think of it I only see water skippers in clear mountain streams and lakes. But i to would like to know?