Snake!

Chris

The last time we went camping I watched our dog look like he was dancing. Turns out he was avoiding a snake! I called him back and looked at the snake, it looked like a copperhead. It had very light markings and a triangle/arrow shaped head. It wasn't very aggressive but I killed it anyway since it was so close to our camp site. Unfortunately, I killed a blacksnake. It was unusually marked but I regret that I killed it. Blacksnakes usually keep the mice and rats away and I've heard they also keep venomous snakes away. This is the first snake I've ever killed and I didn't like it.

jason

fear no beer
I was told, if it has a triangular shaped head, it is venomous. Good thing it didn't strike your dog or you. Always be careful around them.
I have heard the same thing. That being said, I usually do not want to get close enough to check out the shape of their head.

oldsarge

My friend out in California had a Doberman that would hunt Rattle snakes in the desert, every once in a while the dog would bring a dead snake back to her. The dog would have bite marks on it. The vet said it wouldn't hurt him. Found that to be a little weird!

Grandpa

Thankfully, all we have to deal with are rattlers. Not sure I would like it around all those other poisonous snakes. Older rattlesnakes save their venom for food, hence, their "protective" strikes are usually dry. I'll go out of my way to avoid hurting our non venomous snakes but will kill a rattler if he poses a problem.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
The last time we went camping I watched our dog look like he was dancing. Turns out he was avoiding a snake! I called him back and looked at the snake, it looked like a copperhead. It had very light markings and a triangle/arrow shaped head. It wasn't very aggressive but I killed it anyway since it was so close to our camp site. Unfortunately, I killed a blacksnake. It was unusually marked but I regret that I killed it. Blacksnakes usually keep the mice and rats away and I've heard they also keep venomous snakes away. This is the first snake I've ever killed and I didn't like it.
If anything you should have grabbed two sticks and carried it away from the camp. :tinysmile_hmm_t: No sense in killing something if you don't have to IMO.

Last edited:

KeikoOka

From what I understand, copperheads are really afraid of people and dogs, still they can also be dangerous. I hate to kill them, but I say it is better to be safe than it is to be sorry.

oldsarge

In Panama we had the Bushmaster, an aggresive snake which is very territorial. They will chase after you. I always was on the look out for those, more so than any other snake out there. The Coral snake which was yellow, black and red, was another one I would watch for only because they had this little saying like "red on black, step back jack" meaning it was venomous. There was another snake out there with the same colors but the saying was something like "Yellow on red OK Fred", meaning it was non venomous, I could never remember those sayings because so many people had different versions, so I just avoided them all. I told my student the same, No need to mess with them, leave'em alone.

JameyStanley

I grew up watching Steve Irwin, I generally relocate snakes weather they are poisonous or not. If they are poisonous I am more careful handling them and take them farther from my camp. I hate to see people kill a snake just because its a snake. However if its endangering you or your family that's a whole other matter. If you do kill a poisonous snake make sure you get rid of its head, burn it, or bury it. Even though the snake is dead it can still inject venom if you prick yourself on a fang.

Gunny

Semper Fi
In Panama we had the Bushmaster, an aggresive snake which is very territorial. They will chase after you. I always was on the look out for those, more so than any other snake out there.
Affirmative. Bushmasters are bastards. I've seen several in South America. Can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I THINK they're the second-largest poisonous snake in the world, although I could be wrong.

Panama has all kinds of vipers out there. Definitely a place you need to respect and be knowledgable of survival tecniques in. It can be a very unforgiving place.

The Coral snake which was yellow, black and red, was another one I would watch for only because they had this little saying like "red on black, step back jack" meaning it was venomous. There was another snake out there with the same colors but the saying was something like "Yellow on red OK Fred", meaning it was non venomous, I could never remember those sayings because so many people had different versions, so I just avoided them all. I told my student the same, No need to mess with them, leave'em alone.
My father always taught me "Red on yellow will kill a fellow". But that is only useful for Coral snakes in North America. In other parts of the world poisonous Corals can have different colorings.

energystuff

I agree with GROUNDpounder, it's sad that you killed it. We've already displaced so many plants and animals with the roads and buildings we make... Camping is about visiting the natural world.

oldsarge

My father always taught me "Red on yellow will kill a fellow". But that is only useful for Coral snakes in North America. In other parts of the world poisonous Corals can have different colorings.
I have heard that one too Gunny. It's amazing how many people still will mess with snakes just for shits and grins. We had a guy in Panama grab a small Fer D'lance thinking it was a baby Boa. At first glance I could see how you could make that mistake, but if you pay closer attention you can see it's not a Boa. The Kid was lucky and didn't get bit. Unlike my old LT in Fort Irwin California. He tried to pick up a Sidewinder and got scratched on the thumb. He got a free helicopter ride shortly after.

I had Panamainians tell me that the Bushmaster could strike so hard it has been known to break a bone in elderly people or small children. Could never verify that while I was down there. But the word was that it was know to srtike fast and hard.

Gunny

Semper Fi
I have heard that one too Gunny. It's amazing how many people still will mess with snakes just for shits and grins.
My father taught me how to hunt, track, and be proficient in the outdoors at a very young age. And the first thing he ever told me (and repeated this millions of times) is that you have to respect the wild. The moment you stop respecting the wild and the outdoors is the moment things can turn and go very badly for you. The outdoors and the wild can be extremely unforgiving. He always taught me to always show respect, be smart and never take anything for granted.

Words to live by.

I had Panamainians tell me that the Bushmaster could strike so hard it has been known to break a bone in elderly people or small children. Could never verify that while I was down there. But the word was that it was know to srtike fast and hard.
I wouldn't doubt it, brother. They are big, thick, poisonous bastards.

One odd tidbit about Bushmasters that I picked up from the locals down in South America is that they can easily break their backs. I'm not sure if it's due to them striking so hard but it isn't uncommon to find them lying around dead from it. Not sure why they're so prone to it (if this is even true at all) but that's what they say.

ChadTower

I wouldn't doubt it, brother. They are big, thick, poisonous bastards.

Hey now! That's no way to talk about the Panamanians.

dinosaur

troublemaker
dino...I've heard of eating rattlesnake, but copperheads???:tinysmile_tongue_t:
Rattlesnakes, copperheads, water snakes, kings, blacks, hognose, blue racers, cornsnakes, even garter snakes if they're big enough. Cut the head off, then peel the skin back to where you can get a grip. It'll come off like a wet sock. It's inside out but that easily correctible for a hat band. Then you gut it, wash it, soak it in a little salted water and barbeque it. I like it with drawn butter but there's lots of ways to do it.

Judy Ann

Send me a snake skin please dino and I'll replace that sappy ribbon on my hat!!! I'll stick with BBQ eel, one less step in the prep. On second thought, maybe this is just something the wolf brought in and you didn't have to kill it yourself.

dinosaur

troublemaker
maybe this is just something the wolf brought in and you didn't have to kill it yourself.
The first snake I killed was a Timber Rattler. I shot it in the head with a .177caliber pellet rifle (a Benjamin). I barbequed that snake. I was twelve. Since then I have had snake on four continents, some venemous, some not (the snakes not the continents).

As much as I would have liked it, my wolf wasn't born until 2003. So, he wasn't around for most of the barbequed snake. He does seem to enjoy it though. I'll tell him you mentioned him. It should bring a wolfish smile.