Alaska

katharina

Here are some pics my friend sent me from Alaska where he used to work, about 2 years ago. I can't remember the name of the town though.
Nice pictures, Barney! That's one place I'd love to see! Camping out would be great, but an even bigger draw for me would be to do a cruise which is kind of wimping out, isn't it? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

But those fjords and glaciers by cruise ship... how exciting that would be!

jason

fear no beer
Those are some nice pictures. Alaska has some great scenery. Now only if it was not so cold.

Jane

I love the pictures. They are absolutely beautiful, well maybe not the one with the antlers. :whistle: Of course, that's just my opinion. I love Alaska. It has the most beautiful country in the world.

It is a common misconception that the whole state is cold. Alaska actually has some pretty mild areas and is great for hiking and camping. It is my goal in life to one day, be able to move up there permanently.

katharina

Those are some nice pictures. Alaska has some great scenery. Now only if it was not so cold.
That's the best part for me! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t I don't do so well in the heat, so a place for camping, hiking, fishing, etc. where it's cooler is perfect for me.

I have a friend in Alaska who does salmon fishing and it always sounds like so much fun camping out at the water when it's so refreshingly cool.

justontime

I love the pictures, the scenery looks amazing, I read somewhere recently about Alaskan cruises, it sounds very tempting - but cold!

deltic

I like the pictures, I really don't know much about Alaska but the sceenery looks wonderful.

katharina

I love the pictures, the scenery looks amazing, I read somewhere recently about Alaskan cruises, it sounds very tempting - but cold!
Of all the cruises available all over the world, I think that if I could choose
just one, it would definitely be Alaska... it far beats a tropical cruise in my
mind. I like coolness better than heat. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Taggart

Those are great pictures. I've heard people raving about Alaskan cruises, which I still find a little suprising - But I guess the scenery appeals to a different mindset than the people attracted to vacationing in the Caribbean.

kernow

Those are great pictures. I've heard people raving about Alaskan cruises, which I still find a little suprising - But I guess the scenery appeals to a different mindset than the people attracted to vacationing in the Caribbean.
It must do because I would love to go on one, but the idea of a more normal type of cruise is a big turn of as far as I'm concerned.

katharina

My thought is that I can see "tropics" and feel the heat in many places including Florida... but where else could I ever see a glacier... or the fjords? It's like a whole new world in Alaska.

The Caribbean to me... well that's just more palm trees and heat. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Barney

OK guys, since you liked those pics so much (thanks for the nice comments) I will post some additional ones from Alaska in a new thread.

elizaTN

I spent a couple of weeks in Alaska and it was the best summer of my life! It was cold, but the scenery made the cold not even matter! everywhere you looked there were more mountains and the people there were just as awesome as the scenery! I will deffinatly live there one day. We also went deep sea fishing from 5 am til 7 at night, infact our flight left at midnight that night, but we just couldnt get enough of it! we caught Salmon and halibit, and even saw otters and Blackstone Glacier. So in just one word, Alaska is... AMAZING!!!

katharina

I spent a couple of weeks in Alaska and it was the best summer of my life! It was cold, but the scenery made the cold not even matter!
How cold was cold, though? I have a friend who used to live there and they were so excited when the temp hit 60 one summer so that they could go out and buy shorts. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t What's cold to some of us is a heat wave to some of the natives there.

fiddleman

My wife and I took a cruise to Alaska 5 years ago. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I've traveled a lot since I was in the military. Alaska cannot be seen through pictures. To fully enjoy it and appreciate it you must see it in person. Take a cruise. You won't be disappointed.

kernow

My wife and I took a cruise to Alaska 5 years ago. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I've traveled a lot since I was in the military. Alaska cannot be seen through pictures. To fully enjoy it and appreciate it you must see it in person. Take a cruise. You won't be disappointed.
After reading so many good things about Alaska, it is now at the top of my wish list of places to visit.

Dreamer

Wow! Those are gorgeous shots! This is a trip that is on my bucket list. I would like to go twice ideally, once when the snow is on the ground and then when it isn't to get some pictures done. I have seen other pictures but I just am dying to get me and my camera up there!

Barney

Yeah, Alaska is a land where the nature is so intact. I just wish I can visit it soon. Maybe I will post some new and more interesting pictures.

Mandy

I would love to hike in Alaska and take a cruise. I wonder if I could take one cruise to Alaska, hike for awhile and catch another cruise back. Is there such a thing as a one way cruise ticket?

palabratic

The Arcticllama
HEH...
Cold is -20 or lower.... you don't realy feel much difference after -20 tho, you are usually too bundled..
Shorts weather starts around 50 above in the spring... In the interior it isn't unusual to ge several 90 degree days in the summer with the occasional 100 degree day every few years or so.... the winters can be rough and long at times, you just have to keep active... it does often get to -40 in any given winter and I've seen as low as -67F (incidentally I rode my bike to work that day because the car wouldn't start)

There are so many places to play outdoors that I don't ever want to leave now that I live here... 24 years and counting:):)