Omelet in a bag

3ofusnow

Here is a cool way for everyone to have exactly what they want for breakfast without a whole lot of dishes to wash. You need a ziploc bag for each person, 2-3 eggs for each person, and omelet toppings (veggies, ham, cheese etc).

When ready to make the omelets, crack the eggs into the bag and squeeze the air out of and seal it. Squish the eggs till well blended then add your favorite omelet fillings into the bag. You can add such things as cheese, mushrooms, green peppers, seasoning, bacon, ham or whatever you like. Once everything is mixed, pour onto a hot griddle and cook. This is something that allows each person to make their own breakfast.

southerngal

Sounds like this one would be good at home too. Fun for the kids and still keeping down the number of dishes you end up washing after breakfast is done.

mikepond

We are huge fans of bags both in and outside of the home. If I were a smarter man I would have purchased some stock in the company years ago. You would be surprised how many we tend to go through in a month.

Grandpa

That is grandma's method as well. Put all the bags in boiling water and cook. Just make sure you use good quality freezer zip locks as some of the cheaper won't hold.

Telna

Great idea! I really like the idea of putting the bags in the water to cook them rather than having to use a skillet. I never would have thought of it without you guys.

jason

fear no beer
I thought ziplock came out against boiling the omelete in the bag? I may be wrong though. I've mixed them in the bag before putting it in a pan though.

Sweetpea

This would be great for the kids and they'd just love it, especially squishing the eggs themselves. I wouldn't like it so much as I'm a little weird and always have to put my eggs through a sieve!

jason

fear no beer
Ziplock neither approves or dis-approves the practice from what I have read, I do know for a fact that it works if like Grandpa said you get good bags.
This was their "press release" when this first started making the rounds.

"Thank you for asking about using Ziploc bags to make omelets. While we appreciate hearing about new and innovative ways to use our products, we must be cautious that these new ideas follow label directions.

"Ziploc bags are not designed or approved to withstand the extreme heat of boiling and therefore, using Ziploc bags to make any recipe that requires the bag to be boiled is not recommended.

"Like all of SC Johnson's products, Ziploc bags cam be used with confidence when label directions are followed. All Ziploc containers and microwaveable Ziploc bags meet safety requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for temperatures associated with defrosting and reheating food in microwave ovens,as well as room, refrigerator, and freezer temperatures.

"Please share these facts with others who may have this misleading information. We also encourage people to go to Get more out of it! for more information on the proper use of this product."​
Not sure if they have changed their stance since then.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I'd rather not end up throwing out tons of plastic bags while camping. Even though we all like different things in our omelets its pretty simple to do with one bowl and one fork to mix things with.