Snakes

baconore

This year has been strange. I have had more contact with snakes this year while fishing then any year before. I heard that cottonmouths and water snakes swim in different paterns. Is there any truth to this?

jason

fear no beer
The swimming patterns are different. Cottonmouths appear almost overly buoyant while swimming, with their heads elevated or on the surface. Water snakes tend to swim bellow the surface. Water snakes spend their time on branches and flee from disturbances. Cottonmouths will be on land or logs near the water surface and will defend their territory.

Thumper

Yeah, we were fishing one day about dusk and all of the sudden we noticed something swimming toward us. It was a cottonmouth with his head above the water. My wife screamed and beat the thing with her fishing rod. I don't know if she killed it but if she didn't she gave it an awfully good try. I told her forget about fishing, they had all gone to the other side of the lake. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Joe S.

I fished in Tennesee in the Memphis area for a few years. There were places I wouldn't fish because of the snakes. I love to take my dog, but I had to leave him home a lot because of them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
We don't have any cottonmouths around here, just copperheads and rattlers. The last copperhead I ran into was delicious and his skin is now my little brother's hat band.

sticks

Señor Member
The local parks cut in a new trail that is apparently going through copperhead habitat . There is a section that you have to watch out for them because they are aggressive, coming out of the woods in attack mode. Normally I don't use my sticks on local trails but I do on this one to fend off these guys.

I am curious how long it is going to take for someone to get bit.

rockin

Seriously dino - you eat snake? It's something I would not eat. I'm not a fan of snakes - to be honest I would have been whacking that snake with my fishing rod too - heck with the fish just get the snake away from me.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Seriously dino - you eat snake? It's something I would not eat.
Snake is delectable. It tastes a lot like lobster when barbequed and dipped in drawn butter. It has never ceased to be a source of wonder for me that people will eat lobster, the garbage scow of the water consuming rotting flesh like a vulture, and yet eschew snake, an animal that eats fresh food.

No offense intended, but I think you need to get over the stigma attached to the Garden of Eden.

rockin

I'm not a Lobster fan either. I just don't like the thought of snake, probably because they really freak me out. When I'm done killing them - either with a shovel or running over it with the 4-wheeler or lawnmower, there is not much left to eat.

sticks

Señor Member
Unless it is the only option I stopped killing snakes decades ago. They are the natural control for many varmints such as rats and mice I prefer not to have.

Got slugs on your hostas?...That garter snake you just whacked is a natural control.

Sure I get the willys when I first see one but that soon goes away.

ChadTower

I have seen more snakes already this year than in years past. Water adders, garden snakes, saw a snake that was maybe 2.5' long a couple weeks ago and that's huge for NH. Didn't get a good enough look to ID it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have a pet garter snake in my woodshed. He controls the insects and now the mice since he has attained a formidable size. His name is Ramon. He's five years old and he let's me pet his head.

ChadTower

Haha. I used to have a garter in my yard I would see every now and then. He was easy to know because he was missing the end of his tail. I haven't seen him in a couple years now though I do see others.

SweetSassyLady

I have pretty much gotten over my fear of snakes. The only ones I DON'T like are the agressive poisonous ones. They tend to get the hoe on the head treatment. I had one come out of the woods on my son and I one day and we had to run to get the hoe because it was following us. I keep the hoe out all of the time now just as a precaution. Attack my kid and you're gonna get killed. :)

dinosaur

troublemaker
Sorry for my insistence but the term "poisonous snake" is a misnomer.

Poison is generally ingested although it can be absorbed by the skin. Venom is generally injected but can be secreted. Hence there is a miniscule grey area here. But since the venemous snakes inject their victims, they are "venemous". Handling or ingesting a venemous snake (after decapitaion) will not poison you.

P.S. Glad you are amused, Sarge.

oldsarge

As soon as I read that post, I remember you telling me that. I was about to post the reply but figured I'd wait .