Bear Grylls Survival Kit

Gondor

The thing with this kit is that it includes low to middle quality items, which is not the way to go if you want to be fully reliant on your gear. On the other hand something is better than nothing and for ordinary people who don't know much about survival this kit would be just fine.

Johnny

I'm a firm believer that you should make your own kit and test it over a long period of time. Buying a generic kit and carrying it without testing is for most people like not having one at all.

BirdBrain

You really don't know what you need until you have tried going out in the wilds. Then you can figure out what best suits you and your situation. It's a shame that many people will think this is the very thing for them and then have it break on them.

oldsarge

I have never watched any of those shows and survival what ever they call it...If it's a buck then it's not genuine. If want a real experience in the wilds go out there and DO IT yourself no matter where it is it will be your survival...experience and all your...not a show and not made to sell.

I live to backpack and I live well. My motto and I live by it.

Those shows are set to make money and edited just for you to keep watching....almost like facebook games...get hooked and there isn't a 12 step program out there to help you. But do go and get outdoors yourself and make your own experience REAL. Now that living...and worth getting hooked on.
So true! you need to get out there and experience it yourself. But on the other hand, there are those who would never try this on their own due to not knowing anything about it at all. These show bring to light another aspect of outdoor life. Kind of like those auto mechanic shows that show you how to build a monster 4X4, "hey I can do that"! then go out and try it it and fail miserably. it's all those little things you don't know that's gonna screw you up. I have no problems with the shows, folks just need to know that this is not the only tried and true way of doing something. There is a lot of good info put out in those shows. You just have to remember that a little knowledge is dangerous. Sure the shows are entertaining, networks want the ratings and sponsors. There are folks here with so much experience, such as yourself refrigerator, that don't need these shows and are not entertained by them. Why? Because you walk the walk and talk the talk. The real deal, like so many others here. But even if I were to consider myself an expert on the subject (and I am not by any stretch of the imagination) I would still watch your show and read your book if it were available. There's always room for more learning! In Bear Grylls case, you're learning what not to do.

ChadTower

I figure these shows are great for those with some experience who are looking for expert tips. They are flat out dangerous to those who don't yet know how much they don't know. Even Dual Survival which is a way more balanced show. The first episode of that I saw was on a nonpopulated island off Nova Scotia in dead winter. They battled the cold a little bit but it didn't seem to be much of an issue even for the desert rat in shorts. I grew up in NS and let me tell you the Atlantic winds in February will make a corpse out of anyone not bundled up. That's the type of thing that the inexperienced just won't understand without the type of firsthand experience Refrigerator mentioned. I'm waiting for the first news story of someone who got a cheap survival kit and went off on a "survival show" long hike and never came back.

oldsarge

I really would like to attend one of these guys training courses. Just to see and hear everything that has been edited out of the TV shows. They say a little knowledge is dangerous, it's the little subtleties that will get you hurt or killed. Your right ChadTower, I don't think it will be long before we hear stories about someone trying to recreate what they saw on TV, then end up being found far too late.

oldsarge

There's several folks within theses forums with tons more experience in the outdoors and can provide a wealth of information. Dinosaur and Refrigerator to name just two. Those two could make a killing on what's in their heads. Imagine how much cash we could make by consolidating all this expertise on paper and videos, not to mention ideas floating around out there too! There should be an Outdoor basecamp book, it would be volumes of information just waiting to be tapped into.

oldsarge

Ive got the ultimate knife and i like it! Not that i know loads about knives. The gelert survival tin is good imo.
What's your choice of knife? Just curious...always looking to improve and I like what feedback I get from the folks here.

JediJackBauer83

What's your choice of knife? Just curious...always looking to improve and I like what feedback I get from the folks here.
Im enjoying the ultimate at the mo. Cant get a good edge because of the teeth on the blade though! Any tips anyone? Other than that i have mora clipper to.

wvbreamfisherman

Personally I'm not to fond of serrated knives, they are nearly impossible to resharpen.

I have two Mora knives on order, and I also have a plastic-handled Kershaw I got at Cabelas.

I have a Tekna skeletonized knife that I carry a lot. It has a plastic sheath and a double-edged very thick blade. Its sharp, but the blade is too thick for some uses. For that I always carry a Swiss Army knife, and usually a have a 3-bladed Buck Stockman pocket knife too.

I'm kind of knife poor at the moment LOL.

Michael

I like my mora but hate the sheath it comes in!
You know, I hate the sheath on my Mora. Until I actually took it out into the woods and did stuff with it. Then I discovered that if I clip it onto the cargo pocket of my pants, it's exactly where I want a knife to be. Now I love it.

JediJackBauer83

Fair point. I've ended up attaching it to a karibener (not sure on spelling) with some para code so it can hang a bit better

JollyRogers

I have the BG Ultimate knife. It's nothing outstanding, but for the price it isn't a bad knife. There is no such thing as a knife that is ideal for every situation. The best knife is the one you have when you need it. I like having a fire steel handy as well as a sharpening stone.

The original versions had problems with the pommels breaking off really easily but Gerber recalled/replaced them right away and this is now a sturdy knife. I'm not a big fan of serrated blades either, unless I am cutting cordage. Then a serrated blade is really efficient.

As to BG and his TV show... IT'S A TV SHOW! It isn't intended to be an example of real life situations. It is supposed to be an exaggeration of potential survival situations and worst case scenarios. That's like complaining that the characters on Family Guy are just cartoons and not real people.

If someone wants to free-climb a waterfall and potentially plummet to their death then I just consider that to be natural selection at work. The kid who eats too many paint chips doesn't grow up to have kids of his own. I don't know anyone who watches these shows that actually believes this is anything but a dramatization of real life. Also if you watch the show, you will see that they flash a disclaimer in the opening credits saying that it isn't real and that it is essentially staged.

I find it kind of disturbing that so many people, (not just here but mostly on other forums), who know so much about the outdoors and survival don't know that it is just an outdoor stunt show with a few survival tips thrown in.

Michael

I find it kind of disturbing that so many people, (not just here but mostly on other forums), who know so much about the outdoors and survival don't know that it is just an outdoor stunt show with a few survival tips thrown in.
The problem isn't people who know what they're doing. The problem is kids who watch Bear Grylls and think that's what they should be doing. Then, instead of learning how you're supposed to act when you're out in nature or during an emergency, they learn exactly how not to act.