Doomsday Preppers

outdoorchick

Did anyone catch the National Geographic Doomsday Preppers show? I saw it over the weekend, and I thought it was really good even though Nat. Geo tried to make the preppers seem a bit nuts. I actually follow two of the participants on youtube and through their blogs so they had already explained what they really said and not what the National Geographic producers made it sound like they said.

Grandpa

They make anyone sound nuts that dares think outside the narrow parameters they want our thoughts channeled in.

Greatoutdoors

I saw it I thought it was cool and you just have to ignore the fact that they edit it to make the people paying attention to what's going on in the world sound nuts.

Newanderthal

When Rita kicked ass on SW Louisiana I went weeks without power or running water. National Guard couldn't get in because of all the downed trees (and they were all still in New Orleans). Since then, I keep a Hurricane Box. It's a large sterelite tote filled with food, TP, batteries, weather radio, first aid, cash, alcohol stove, etc. My girlfriend and I have enough to live for about 3 months if the worst happens. We rotate out the food and batteries.

Now I live in NC. If all hell breaks loose, I'll be the guy sitting on the porch with a cigar, reading a book because I won't have a care in the world. Those who would call me nuts now will be the same ones begging me for a can of dinosaur-shaped spaghetti-o's later.

Grandpa

It's only doomsday for those who are not prepared. The nuts like us will just adjust to the peace and quiet.

Lamebeaver

If anything bad happens, First stop for me will be the liquor store to buy several cases of good Scotch. After a few months, I'll be trading bottles for bricks of gold, cases of 7.62x39, pretty young girls or truck loads of food. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

3ofusnow

You guys are awesome glad to see we really aren't the only ones who prepare...just the only ones we know. We don't even tell people anymore cause they just think we are nuts and I don't need them knocking on my door or trying to take my stuff.

CozInCowtown

A couple of food grade plastic 55 gallon barrels full of garden hose water will go a long way towards survival in a bad situation.
I had 4 in my garage that pulled double duty as work benches. Not perfect but worked well none the same when they were needed.
Being prepared is not that big an investment or hassel.
Putting back some canned food, water, a small pile of firewood and a .22 rifle or snotgun will go a long way towards survival.
JMO,
DC

Last edited:

Grandpa

A couple of food grade plastic 55 gallon barrels full of garden hose water will go a long way towards survival in a bad situation.
I had 4 in my garage that pulled double duty as work benches. Not perfect but worked well none the same when they were needed.
Being prepared is not that big an investment or hassel.
Putting back some canned food, water, a small pile of firewood and a .22 rifle or snotgun will go a long way towards survival.
JMO,
DC
Don't forget that other 50 gals of water storage, the water heater. Just mentioning it so everyone can consider it when the time comes.

Scotty

We always have a stash ready. It's just common sense since we have power outages all of the time. We have food, water, books (yeah, to me they're essential), extra ammo, fishing and hunting equipment. We also have a bunch of squirrels that are fond of our oak tree out back. So we would have an endless supply of fresh meat.

Greatoutdoors

It's only doomsday for those who are not prepared. The nuts like us will just adjust to the peace and quiet.
Love this! We aren't as long term prepared as I would like to be, but we do take small steps each week to add to what we have. Our biggest concern at this point is finding water after what we have stored runs out.

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
Did anyone catch the National Geographic Doomsday Preppers show? I saw it over the weekend, and I thought it was really good even though Nat. Geo tried to make the preppers seem a bit nuts. I actually follow two of the participants on youtube and through their blogs so they had already explained what they really said and not what the National Geographic producers made it sound like they said.
You mean a TV show would try to make people look crazy and take things out of content to sell the show? Never. Oh, sarcasm does not go over well on the internet.

I have not caught the show, but I may look for it. I always enjoy those shows. Sadly the wife does not. She hates it when I watch Life After People or whatever it is called on History Channel.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Try to remember that having a plan and putting one into action are two different things. Practice makes perfect. Try living without any of the things you take for granted and you'll be prepped.

Soldat

I'm watching the show right now for the first time. I've been a survivalist since the mid 80's anyway. Nice to know I'm not the only one out here. Just me and my 2 German Shepherds. They're my first alert system. Back then I was a wacko and I guess I still am. I can't wait for it to happen.

Greatoutdoors

LOL @ Jason. :) You can find it in its entirety on youtube. That's how we watched it after I heard about it. Personally, I think anyone who is NOT preparing for something is crazy, just open your eyes and look around.

Grandpa

We are not doomsday preppers as such. We have been buying food in bulk since the day we got married. Much cheaper and saves late night runs to the store, and is very handy when a blizzard closes the roads for a few days.

Twice in the last 41 years, that extra food has saved us. Early in our life, we had to go eight months without a cent, funneling all the money into the mortgage to save the farm. Because we had the large food supply, we did survive and kept the place.

Being prepared for emergencies just makes good sense. Uncle Sam doesn't have a good track record for coming to peoples aid, the wolves are ready to pounce on anyone who gets behind, and going hungry sucks.

JimBob

I do like to see doomsday type shows, but I'm not prepared in the sense you guys are talking. When a hurricane is coming, we get prepared. If a doomsday situation does happen, I'll be prepared. Prepared to take everyone elses stuff around me that I need. Plenty to go around.

CozInCowtown

@ JimBob,
Good thing you are not my neighbor, that might not work out as well as planned.
I have a wife and kids who can shoot nicely thank you and don't care to go hungry.
The problem with that is neighbors who were ready probably are ready to keep and protect what they have from marauders. I know we would be.
When the y2k thing was the buzz a neighbor noted he knew where he was gonna come if something bad happened. I told him actually he knew where not to come if something bad happened.
He was not that friendly after that.
jmo,
DC

Last edited: