Very Upset With Neighbors

CatsEye

I usually don't mind anything the neighbors do, however, this time they have incurred my wrath! The kids across the street have installed a system of speakers outside of their house. Normally I wouldn't mind because I like music and usually I'm not picky. Now, however, they are are blasting some bass heavy metal music outside at all hours of the day including 2am. Next time, I'm either installing my own system and blasting bluegrass music back at them or I'm calling the cops. They are not very nice people so I'm doomed if I were to try to reason with them. Hmmm, I wonder how they like Bill Monroe and the Tennessee Travelers at 3am?

Camoguy

I vote for just calling the cops and not start a ****ing contest. That could definitely end badly. I don't have a neighbor close so I'm great as far as bad behavior by neighbors.

ponderosa

"They are not very nice people so I'm doomed if I were to try to reason with them."

Reasonable people wouldn't be so inconsiderate of the neighborhood to begin with, so I don't think I'd even try honestly. I hope you get a satisfactory result by complaining to the police and city/county officials.

MountainMan22

.22 short about 4am into speakers.
Nobody will see nuttin'.
Calling the cops is probably a better idea though.
DC
I'm with this guy. Shoot the dang things. Or better yet, take a knife and cut the speaker out. Or you can always take the diplomatic approach and warn him first. I'm just kidding with you. I would complain to the police. There should be a noise ordinance in place.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Out here they have a saying: "That's nothing a bucket of gasoline and a match won't fix." However, we do try to exhaust all lesser remedies first. Call the police.

bikerjoe

Call the cops. Chances are that other neighbors have complained and the more that complain the sooner the problem will be resolved. I don't know of any community that doesn't have some sort of noise ordnance on the books.

Lamebeaver

Norhing worse than obnoxious neighbors. You can call, and call, but even if you have a strong nuiscance ordinance, it's an uphill battle.

In the long run, it may be easier to just move.

Been there, and yes, I done that! Now our closest neighbors are cows, and I kinda like the noise they make.

IndianaHiker

Call the cops. May not the first time but sooner or later they will get fined. If they get fined enough it won't be so much fun as the fines will cut into the beer money.

rockin

Idiots! I would call the cops too. Although blasting music back at them sounds pretty funny. Then again, the cops will be there for you as well as them if you do that! What a bunch of inconsiderate idiots!

jason

fear no beer
The first night it cooled off here and we opened the windows I heard some music. I could tell it was kids, and all my neighbors are rather older, so I know it was not one of them. Felt bad for those closer to the music. Thankfully it was not too loud though for me.

However, around 3am someones dog decided it found something to bark at for almost an hour. That so far has been the closets time I wanted to call the police. Again, I know it was not one of my neighbors, the only one with a dog has small ones with a much higher pitch bark.

While I got a kick at some of the replies, and thought about using some of them against my one neighbor who has a light on a telephone pole in the middle of his back yard, I would attempt legal avenues first. No use in getting into a pissing contest, or putting yourself at risk.

oldsarge

The problem with using legal avenues first it that now they know who to investigate when the speakers get nuked or the lights shot out. Remember, never fight fair, hit hard and fast without warning and move out with all do speed. If caught or questioned, admit nothing, deny everything and make conter accusations.

ejdixon

Based on what you said, I'm surprised no one has beaten you to calling the cops on them the next time that they do. I admit that it might sound challenging eventually for you to keep on doing that every now and then, but eventually, I'm sure that they will get annoyed with the constant hassle from the cops. And if they're still minors, their parents will be dragged into this as well. :D

DylanT

Isn't there some noise code violation where you live? Some decibel rating? Call the cops.

AlwaysOutdoors

I would think there would be some sort of noise code set in place myself. I too would call the police and I'm sure you wouldn't be the first. Enough of them call something will get done sooner or later.