Knife Throwing?

Gabbie

Just wondered if anyone does this here? We used to a good while back and it was fun. We collected the throwing knifes and used to make targets. Then would throw and see who could hit the target (and sometimes just 'stick it' in the tree). We kind of got out of it but it was a nice compitition between hubby and me. :)

LindaLou

Goodness this something we actually used to do also. Although it has been many years ago. The kids would even get in on it. It was actually a lot of fun and my husband had collected a lot of throwing knifes back then. I guess they have all disappeared over the years.

Fox38

Wow! Ummm no.... That sounds like an accident waiting to happen (I'm a bit of a klutz). I would never let my kids do this either. When did you do this and who started the whole thing? Did you ever get hurt?

oldsarge

Never saw a need for it. Tried it a few times many years ago and soon realized that it would never be a viable tool for me to have.

Grandpa

We used to have local competition to be on the "Bridger" team of various old skills and that included knife throwing. All the small communities would assemble their team and the teams would all meet at the Bridgerland Festival at a central site. I made the team as a log chopper :tinysmile_hmm_t: once and something else a time or two but I could never get the flat side of a knife to stick very well.:tinysmile_twink_t2: Some of those guys were GOOD though. The only event that bystanders gave room, though, was the axe throwing event.

Greatoutdoors

I think it would be a very neat skill to learn. I don't see why it would be anymore dangerous than darts, and we used to throw darts all the time! :)

calanta

Never, but if you make me mad enough I automatically have perfect aim no matter what I could be holding in my hand. I tell my husband its like a secret talent. ;)

CatsEye

I have seen axe throwing competitions before. It's very interesting and would be a good skill to have if you are trying to hunt an animal and had nothing but your axe with you. I may have to start trying both skills.

Tubby

:D :D :D So that's where my law dart landed!! :) Seriously though, can you just see a James Bond movie with the villain throwing a knife at the hero, only to have it hit in a 4X4 next to the hero's head? I seem to remember that in one of the older movies.

oldsarge

I just can't see throwing my only weapon. It's much better in my hands than flying through the air. About as dumb as the old Superman show where the villain would empty out his revolver then throw it at Superman. As far as hunting goes, use a large stick and knock the crap out of something. As a hobby, sure, it's all for entertainment.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's much better in my hand.
This just about sums up my opinion. I've been using knives since I was still in single digits and have highly developed skills, but I haven't thrown a knife since I was ten or eleven.

As a sport, knife throwing is fun. But close quarter combat requires control, speed, and force. You can't do it by throwing your weapon. I don't ever expect to have to do it again, but faced with the inevitability, my knife will stay in my hand.

Shannon

I agree that keeping your knife in your hand is a much better option if you are talking about defending yourself. I also think it would be pretty cool to know how to throw knives accurately though...talk about party games! ;)

oldsarge

I also think it would be pretty cool to know how to throw knives accurately though...talk about party games! ;)
Oh ya...I can just see it now. Some poor drunk trying to grab his car keys after the party and wham! stick his cuff to the table. That will get the point (get it) across...no drinking and driving!

jason

fear no beer
I was given a fairly cheap set a while back. To be honest, they are still in their holding. I think I let my Brother in law throw them a few times. It might be something I do for fun once in a while, but I just haven't found the time for it. If anything I get the BB gun out.

Gabbie

Wow, so many different replies here. :) We were just doing it for fun actually. A hobby of sorts. Hubbies dad had given him a few so we went outside and started throwing them. It can be fun if you have a target and go for it. Kine of like big darts. As I mentioned, we haven't done that in many years now.