I hit another one!

scarlett

So I hit my third deer this year with my van. I'm starting to think I should call myself a hunter, except I don't use a Winchester, I use a Chrysler. Seriously, though, I am thankful every day for the hunting season that helps to keep the deer population in check because this is getting ridiculous. It's almost dangerous to drive at night!

Hazel

I've hit one with my ambulance. I got upset and wanted to take it to some kind of ER. My partner laughed at me.It jumped up and ran off though. I also got hit by a deer on the side of my rig. Nice dent. My boss thought that I was joking till my partner backed me up. We were parked at the time. BTW Scarlett, if you kill it with your van, can you keep it out of season??

Jumper79

We can keep them here, but to be honest I have never even come close to hitting one. Actually, the only animal I have ever hit with a vehicle was a porcupine. It did a number on my tires.

dinosaur

troublemaker
For most of the year, it is safe to drive at night. But, October and November are the rut months for Whitetail. This is when they have the raging hormones of a human teenager and, like humans, they think with their genitals.

A normally cautious deer will walk right into the roadway looking to get laid. This is a 24 hour a day deal, so, exercise due caution during this time.

huntergal

I have to back up what Dinosaur has said....the fall is a bad time for deer because of the rut going on. I have found that doe act reckless to get away from all the rutting boys, and the buck will act reckless to follow the doe. Unfortunately you just have to stay alert. Sorry about your car! :(

Scotty

My cousin has dinged her car up and my truck, believe it or not, was hit by a buck when it came running through the yard following a doe. It just scratched the hood where it jumped over it but otherwise, it's cool. Never had a deer hit me before. I've hit plenty of them.

wvbreamfisherman

Reminds me of a friend of mine a few years back. She lives in Virginia, and I was IM'ing with her one evening. She says: "well I got my deer". I think about it for a second, and type: "I don't think bow season opened this early when i was in college down there".

She types back: "well i didn't use a bow, I used a 1996 Honda CVCC"! LOL

Seriously folks- keep a sharp eye out for deer this time of year!

jason

fear no beer
BTW Scarlett, if you kill it with your van, can you keep it out of season??
Many, many, many years ago, when I was just a little boy my father hit a deer with his car. Some pretty good damage, bumper, headlight, I think radiator too. But he called the police to file an accident report. The police shown up and told him that he did not hit the deer, he found it on the side of the road. It seems at the time in NY it was a fine to hit a deer with your vehicle. Not exactly sure if it was hunting season or not though, and this was in the 80's.

Grandpa

Utah assesses a large fee for killing one of "their" animals, even when the damage is to the side of the vehicle. A good reason to hit and run.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Utah assesses a large fee for killing one of "their" animals, even when the damage is to the side of the vehicle. A good reason to hit and run.
I was unaware of this anomoly. Odd that one of Utah's deer has never killed someone's family member and subsequently been sued for wrongful death because Utah was unable to control their animals.

Grandpa

I was unaware of this anomoly. Odd that one of Utah's deer has never killed someone's family member and subsequently been sued for wrongful death because Utah was unable to control their animals.
Was wondering the same thing when the buck attacked the lady jogger this summer.