What Did You Learn The Hard Way

Mountain Man

When we did our first overnight canoe camping trip, we were pretty green. We found out a couple of things the hard way. First, always find out what the weather forecast is before venturing out. Second, if you paddle down a fast flowing river, you eventually have to turn around and paddle against that same current. What did you learn the hard way?

Grandpa

Learned as a 11 yr old boy scout. Have a backup plan for food on a campout. Cooking a pancake in a little aluminum frypan over an open fire is not as easy as in a cast iron skillet on a stove. As a fellow scout said; "ewwww, that would gag a maggot"

JimBob

How about, don't forget your deoderant. Things could get stinky if others are around and you start smelling and there is no lake to jump into to get fresh. I agree that it's pretty important to know the weather forecast. You don't want to get caught in unexpected nasty weather.

ejdixon

That's so true. It can be quite unpredictable, but it still pays to be prepared than sorry later on. Went camping once with my friends even if the weather forecast predicted heavy rains. We wound up spending the entire weekend soaked to the bone.

Lamebeaver

Our first Christmas together I bought my wife an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.......

We're still together....I'm a fast learner.

Hikenhunter

For any trip, always make a checklist and follow it. You would be surprised how often you will overlook things if you do not use a checklist. Even using a checklist you will sometimes forget something, but not as often as you will without the list.

skybear

In hiking/camping I learned to wear thick soled shoes and watch where I step. In life I've learned to never run out of coffee or toilet paper.

Mountain Man

I like the suggestion about the toilet paper and the coffee, both camping and at home. And yes, we now have a checklist to refer to. That has saved a lot of unexpected problems over the years.

ejdixon

In hiking/camping I learned to wear thick soled shoes and watch where I step. In life I've learned to never run out of coffee or toilet paper.
Learned that lesson, too. Funny how something like toilet paper can be one of the most valuable things to have outdoors.

oldsarge

Gun safety...I shot a hole in my mothers roof as a teen....then I shot the TV one night! All by accident of course. No one around to teach me, so I learned the hard way. Thank God I made it this far.

ppine

Forester
The limitations of four-wheel drive vehicles. I finally figured out they only get stuck in worse places. I was working for the BLM out of Spokane, WA. We were out in the Columbia Basin and it was over 100 degrees when the Dodge pick-up came to rest with all four wheel buried to the axles, and a barbed wire fence wrapped around the rear axle.