What Did You Learn The Hard Way

Judy Ann

When riding behind the driver of an ATV hold on to him and not the back rail...you might end up beneath the vehicle after going over a big root! Secondly, when riding as a passenger, don't get into a disagreement with the driver...you might end up dead! Just saying...be the driver! ;-)

Judy Ann

Southern Lady Rule #2: Take off all bracelets before shooting dove with an antique shotgun. Bracelets may scratch the stock. Probably only an issue if you shoot more birds than the bf! If you really like a loaned gun, don't let him know...the same goes for fishing rods!

Judy Ann

Southern Lady Rule #3: If your rod gets cast along with the line and hook in 30 degree weather, wait to see if anyone else jumps in after it. They won't. Don't cry even if it was a Christmas present and it was your first time using it. Don't replace it and let him keep it after you go separate ways. It might be the best rod and reel you ever owned!

Judy Ann

Southern Lady Rule #4: If you are sitting in a deerstand in the swamp don't talk about how many turkeys and deer you saw especially if you were eating peanuts and watching PBS on your tv!

Judy Ann

Southern Lady Rule #5: If you refuse to shoot a doe with her yearling while waiting for the 8 point buck...you might end up alone after a seven year relationship. He won't understand. :-(

Judy Ann

Southern Lady Rule #6: Don't shoot a little cow horned buck if you want to wait for something bigger. You may still have to threaten to tell someone's momma if they want to "bloody" you for your first kill. Have a knife ready and be serious...guys may not have mercy when ego is involved. Bring whiskey...

Judy Ann

Southern Lady Rule #7: If you find yourself on your own after a long relationship, enjoy the break and remember to learn from the best whatever your next outdoor hobby might be. Life is unpredictable and you never know what is down the next trail! :)

dinosaur

troublemaker
What I learned the hard way is that people who need advice the most will seldom if ever take it. Trying to teach a greenhorn is like trying to teach a pig to talk. It frustrates you and annoys the pig.

Johnny

Trying to start a fire in damp environment. This is something that requires a lot of skill and even with such a skill set it's always a challenge.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Go ahead and drop $500 on a sleeping bag if you camp in the cold.
Don't buy several cheaper bags trying to find a good one.

Roy

Hurricanes and tents don't mix. Even if the weather forecast says that only the very outer bands will go over you, this is still a LOT of wind and even more rain. You can't dig a trench deep enough to divert this much rain.

ejdixon

Hurricanes and tents don't mix. Even if the weather forecast says that only the very outer bands will go over you, this is still a LOT of wind and even more rain. You can't dig a trench deep enough to divert this much rain.
I completely agree with you, Roy!

Judy Ann

Don't carry a heavy canvas tent downhill by yourself, you may have to wait a while for someone to help you carry it back up. :-(

Grandpa

Don't carry a heavy canvas tent downhill by yourself, you may have to wait a while for someone to help you carry it back up. :-(
Thanks Judy, your downhill/uphill reminds me of another no no I did. I and a friend was going to do a long thru hike that needed an even longer shuttle. At the last minute, he had an emergency and couldn't go. Since I had two weeks off, I wasn't going to sit home so I went anyway, intending to hike in and out from both ends of the original trek. From the pass, I took off down trail, intending to make a short day hike. I determined I would go 4 hours down, figuring 6 hours back up. Wrong, I covered nearly 15 miles in the 4 hours down and it took 13 hours to get back up. That mountain was a lot steeper than I thought.