Dumbest thing you've ever done while camping?

Susie

Tried to make banana pancakes from scratch in the rain when we were newlyweds. Now we can't ever make them without laughing about that day.

MountainMan22

The dumbest thing I ever did was participate in a belly flop contest. We were jumping off a small cliff and decided to see who could do the best belly flop. I still don't know how they judged it. I guess it was who was in the most pain after they jumped. It hurt like heck!

ejdixon

The dumbest thing I ever did was forgetting that you can't buy booze in Indiana on Sunday.
Thanks for the heads up on that one, dino. I'll make sure to remember that when I manage to get some time off from work and do some camping there.

briansnat

Platnium Member
1. Going solo backpacking in the Catskill Mountains in Feb. and bringing my daughter's 30 degree sleeping bag instead of my 0 degree bag. They were the same color, so I just peeked inside and assumed it was my bag.

Got down to 8 below during the night. Not only was the bag not warm enough, I couldn't fit inside so had to use it as a blanket. It was a cccccold night.

2. At one of our old fashioned car camping trips/drunken fests I walked off an 8 ft high wall in the dark. I thought I was on the trail, but walked off it onto the filled in foundation of an old house and right off the side. I fell onto rocks and didn't get a scratch.

3. Tried to take a photo of a 2 qt percolator on top of a Pocket Rocket. I thought it would be a nice shot of my wife waiting in the background with her coffee cup and the percolator in the foreground. The percolator was too much for the not very stable Pocket Rocket and fell over and dumped boiling coffee onto my camera and my hands and arms.

I was without a camera for the rest of the trip and I had burns on my hands and arms that made the rest of the trip less than enjoyable.

Pathfinder1

1. Going solo backpacking in the Catskill Mountains in Feb. and bringing my daughter's 30 degree sleeping bag instead of my 0 degree bag. They were the same color, so I just peeked inside and assumed it was my bag.

Got down to 8 below during the night. Not only was the bag not warm enough, I couldn't fit inside so had to use it as a blanket. It was a cccccold night.

Wow...!! That WAS a bad experience, but when we learn the hard way, we tend to stay learned, right?

And, yes, I know about cold weather...!! Certainly didn't envy you on that campout...!!

May you always stay warm on your treks.

wvbreamfisherman

LOL Newanderthal! Capt. Morgan has navigated lots of folks onto the reefs! My copilot in my salad days was generally Johnny Walker, and his advice was generally about as bad as the Captain's.

briansnat

Platnium Member
One thing about it, bad decisions sure make good stories.
:tinysmile_twink_t2:
Life is a collection of experiences and sometimes the bad decisions make the greatest experiences. My wife and I took many beautiful hikes this year, but probably the most memorable was last Sunday when we misjudged sunsett and encountered very wet trail. Our slogging several miles through ice cold, knee deep water in the dark will probably be a story we'll tell years after we've forgotten the lovely hikes on the beautiful days.

Hazel

LOL at Newanderthal and Wvbremfisherman, my loco buddy Jose Cuervo has gotten me into quite the fix a couple of times as well.

Johnnytarr

On my first boating trip I thought I had everything I needed. Turns out I could have used a plastic bag to keep all my gear dry. hit a rock, over turned the boat, and soaked all the gear. Got myself and every thing else back in the boat, but a lot of food and some much needed dry clothes were ruined.

SunnyDay

We built a fire that was way WAY too large and we very nearly made Smokey the Bear cry. We were all so afraid we would burn down the entire forest. We were running and getting water like mad and dowsing down everything in sight. Fortunately we did not cause a forest fire but we were pretty darn close. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

alex k

leaving the campground with the old class c . one daughter in front seat . thought the other was in the back .
looked in the mirror watching a crying 8 year old running after us . child count was on the breaking camp checklist for a while .

Grandpa

leaving the campground with the old class c . one daughter in front seat . thought the other was in the back .
looked in the mirror watching a crying 8 year old running after us . child count was on the breaking camp checklist for a while .
I take it Home Alone has special meaning for your family:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

oldsarge

New movie: Far Away From Home Alone.
Actually, that's not a bad idea at all Dino! you need to contact a few writers and try to sell your idea. It would make a great movie. Now that I think of it...it reminds me of the movie Apacolypto.