Dumbest thing you've ever done while camping?

oldsarge

This wasn't so much a camping trip but it happened while I was in the field in Panama. I was feeling like I was getting an allergic reaction, so I popped a few Benadryl. Then proceeded to lay down in a hammock until out transportation arrived to take us back to the rear. Two hours latter, when I woke up, I found that the ants crawled down the hammock ropes to have a picnic party on my ears. The reaction I got from that was far worse than how I was feeling earlier. My head looked like a basketball, My face was swollen so bad I was unrecognizable. Lesson learned...don't go to sleep after taking Benadryl in the field!

Lorax

Peak bagging three mountains in one day because the weather was too good to let go to waste. We could hardly walk for two days after. I was sore for a week.

wvbreamfisherman

Talking about being left behind, my dad drove off in the motor home and left my mom at a rest stop. State cops flagged him down about the time he realized she wasn't aboard. We never ceased to get a laugh out of that one!

abpat2203

On my second camping trip, reached the camp grounds late. Were hungry so got a good fire going on the grill before our neighbor dropped in to let us know that there is a burn-ban in effect. Had to douse down the fire, head over to the nearest town and get something to eat.

ChadTower

On my second camping trip, reached the camp grounds late. Were hungry so got a good fire going on the grill before our neighbor dropped in to let us know that there is a burn-ban in effect. Had to douse down the fire, head over to the nearest town and get something to eat.

That isn't dumb. That's just lack of info because you got in late and hadn't talked to anyone yet.

Grandpa

I reread this entire thread today. It is as good reading as the eskimo thread. Unfortunately, it has also made me recall some instances best forgotten.

abpat2203

That isn't dumb. That's just lack of info because you got in late and hadn't talked to anyone yet.
Dumb as in assuming I know everything that I need to know about camping after having done it only once.

Now I know the importance of planning in advance, getting to the camp site as early as possible and making sure I find out about the local conditions and what do's and don'ts.

jb_simerly

fire starting

Went on my first camping trip without the parents and forgot the diesel fuel to start fire. But not the coleman lantern fluid and i thought what the heck gas is gas right???????? well a few singed hairs and almost a forest fire later i figured out i was wrong. now I use charcoal lighting fluid much more safer lol

ppine

Forester
Jb,

I am happy you were not seriously injured and did not start a forest fire. How about looking at some of the excellent threads on fire building by using found materials and a match? It might be a lot safer. Maybe a 12 volt electric lantern while you are at it.

TroyS

We were pretty hungry from a very long hiking trip so a friend of mine suggested to me to use some of the gas we had to make our fire bigger to speed up the cooking. Apparently, I threw way too much into the fire. It did make the fire bigger, but also charred our lunch to a crisp.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Don't mess with Coleman Mac n cheese once you pour the boiling water in the sack. Manipulating the sack to make sure the noodles don't stick together can bust the zip seal and cause scalding water and noodles to squirt all over your hands. Leave the bag alone...Hiking poles and burned palms don't mix.

Pathfinder1

Went on my first camping trip without the parents and forgot the diesel fuel to start fire. But not the coleman lantern fluid and i thought what the heck gas is gas right?? well a few singed hairs and almost a forest fire later i figured out i was wrong. now I use charcoal lighting fluid much more safer lol

Hi...

Using charcoal lighter fluid is an interesting way to start a campfire. I don't think I've ever seen that in print before. Probably simplifies things, I guess.

I won't carry liquids in my BOB, and much prefer (enjoy, if you will) starting a campfire the old fashioned way.

I would consider starter fluid to be sort of overkill...like using a shotgun to kill squirrels.

Just sayin'.

ejdixon

I would consider starter fluid to be sort of overkill...like using a shotgun to kill squirrels.

Just sayin'.
I learned that lesson the hard way. Remember one time I went camping with a few friends. It was starting to get really chilly so one of my friends decided to add a bit of lighter fluid to the fire. Needless to say, it woke all of us up. It was the longest jump I've done, too. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t