Watches

JameyStanley

I am in the market for an analog watch that is rugged enough to handle rough conditions. Any one know of a good watch or brand of watches that can handle a beating that are around or less than $200? I found some nice ones that said they could handle almost anything but they are around $1200 and that is a lot more than I am willing to pay for a watch.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Sometimes Gruen will have something in that range. I've been looking for one for several years, but I've not found any with expansion bands. "Clasp" type fasteners won't fit over my hands. Bummer.

My own every-day watch (was "dressy" at one time) has been with me for I don't know how many years. Just put in a new battery every so many years. Has time, date and day. It's a Pulsar.

Seiko also (used to, anyway) has various sales...sometimes clearances through other outlets.

oldsarge

That is a nice watch IndianaHiker, have a friend who has one. I like the tritium markers. No need for a light to charge them up, I think they will glow for like 25 years. I wonder if they make one without the Navy SEAL marked on it. Nothing against the SEAL's, just don't like wearing stuff with all kinds of SPECOPS stuff written on it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have a Jules Jurgenson "Infinity". It's the only outdoor watch they make. They've been making watches for like five hundred years so I figured they probably got it right by now. It's waterproof down to about 150 feet and it's all stainless steel. It has a date window for the day of the month and a sweep second hand. That's about it. It's not fancy but it is rugged. I've been beating the hell out of it for two years.

It retails for a bit over two hundred but you might find one for less.

wvbreamfisherman

Timex Expedition. Tougher than a hickory stump. Luminous hands and numbers, as well as Indiglo. About $35 and they will last a year or two until the battery is dead. Cheap enough that if you manage to destroy one (and survive the incident) you don't feel bad about trashing it.

Refrigerator

Timex Expedition. Tougher than a hickory stump. Luminous hands and numbers, as well as Indiglo. About $35 and they will last a year or two until the battery is dead. Cheap enough that if you manage to destroy one (and survive the incident) you don't feel bad about trashing it.
I totally agree with wvbreamfisherman...I have use expensive watches yea...the ones with all the bells for outdoor gear heads, and the last 6 years have the Timex Expedition series. This watch is my favorite....simple and well worth the price and some.

alex k

have had the same fossil watch for 9 years and exept for battery changes no problems . had another that had a broken band after 8 yrs . sent it to the company for a new bad . replacement was not available so i got a credit for $95.00 and ordered a new on on line .
they have survived campong / hiking amd many years as a nurse and firefighter .
wont buy any other watch.

oldsarge

Citizen has a pretty good deal like that. I had their WingMan Aviators watch, I needed a crystal replaced and the alarm fixed. Citizen told me they no longer make that watch and parts were not available. So they said if I turn in that watch I could have any watch they sell at half price. I didn't think that was a bad deal considering they have a pretty good selection of watches. I have yet to take them up on the offer.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I had two rather interesting ones... Pulsar solar - whose face was a solar panel. It would recharge itself and never run down. I think it was digital though. The other would wind itself when you walked or moved around. I finally beat them up, they still worked but were scratched and damaged.
I gave up on watches. I haven't worn one in years, prefer my cell phone clock or car clock at work. Analog is nice though. A pilot friend of mine told me they wear analogs in case they crash. The FAA guys might be able to tell your exact crash time from when the watch stopped.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
My solution might not do you any good since it is not a watch and is not analog but it might help someone else who has similar questions. Analogs are a cool way to go though.

When I quit working I symbolically threw my watch away (actually sold it for a thousand bucks) and now use my Sangean DT-400W AM/FM/Wx radio to time simmering rice, cozy pot meals, safe turn around times and knowing when sunset will come. It is good entertainment at times and brings me up to date weather reports as well. Bose in the ear phones make it sound like live performance.

My Legend C GPS does a great job to but does not come with built in entertainment.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Nice looking knife Ghostdog! What is it?
Its made by Blind Horse Knives and is a Bushbaby. They originally offered it in tiger stripped maple like the one I got but now they use micarta. The steel is 01 carbon, takes a shaving sharp edge but is tough and holds that edge well. I have a size comparison here with the SAK Farmer. The Bushbaby has a 1/8 inch spine but the flat ground blade is much thinner by the time it gets to the same area on the Farmer. It’s a slicer.

Here is a link --> Blind Horse Bushbaby

They also offer a bigger version, the Bushcrafter.