What in the World is Happening to the Weather?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

What in the world is happening with the weather?

We had one snowstorm in October...and the other one fairly recently...night temps between the high 20s and high 30s...daytime temps in the high 30s to high 40s.

Todays forecasted high is 47...!! With bright sunlight, and a clear sky at present. With pretty much the same predicted for the next week.

It's like Indian Summer never ended...!!

Is anybody else experiencing a "winter" like this?

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Yes, we got a little snow in Sept and Oct, which is normal, then went to indian summer from Nov into Jan. We did get 3 or 4 inches before the rain came. It is trying to do something again right now but can't tell if it is rain or snow. Right at that stage where it is a little of both. And we should have 4 feet on the level this time of year.

They say this is a record year but just barely beating out the winter of 1976-77 which was very similar. And, the old timers said that winter of 76-77 was wet compared to 33-34. Weather is cyclic, despite Al's claims.

Last edited:

hikingprincess

I think our winter has been fabulous! I agree though that weather is cyclical so I don't expect it to stay this way forever. I will just enjoy it while it lasts.

ppine

Forester
We are being affected by a weak La Nina event with lots of warm and dry. Last year we had a strong La Nina which resulted in cold and wet. Cooling in the Pacific has thrown a wrench in the weather patterns. Variability is totally normal. Look at the weather fluctuations in the past few hundred thousand years to gain some perspective.

As an example, Lake Tahoe went thru a dry warm period in the last few thousand years, long enough to drop the lake elevation by several hundred feet and grow a forest, which is now under water.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

As long as I'm not shoveling snow, I'm fine with the weather!

Hi...

I'm with you, oldsarge. I'm also wondering when the "other" shoe is going to drop. (make that a snowshoe).:tinysmile_cry_t::tinysmile_cry_t:

Phrase for use when traveling through hostile regions of the Persian Gulf:

"Auto arraregh davateman mano sepaheh-hast". (It is exceptionally kind of you to allow me to travel in the trunk of your car).

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Global Warming. No wait, that was the excuse last year with unseasonably cold winters around here. Two snowstorms and an ice storm. We got 8" the first time. The weatherman said it was a foot, but I measured 8". Never trust a man measuring anything in inches.

oldsarge

Oops! Spoke too soon, we got some snow coming today and tonight, possible accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. I know it's not a major storm but this has been such a mild season for us in the Chicago area and I was hopping it would continue.

Blueskyy

Winter has finally returned to the South. I heard this morning that the windchill will be in the teens for most of the weekend. We might even see a snow flurry or two.

jason

fear no beer
Not sure, but enjoy it. It is the last one with it being 2012. ;)

But it has been crazy. Typically it is 70's high 60's this month for the high. 40's for the low. It has been in the 80's most of the month. But this weekend the low drops down to the low 30's. My friend about half hour north says low 20's. Scary part, I planted seeds already in those little green house starter things. A few have come up already too. Hopefully they will make it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
We got six inches overnight and it's still snowing. Of course, it's supposed to be 40 degrees agian by next Wednesday.

Gabbie

We have had high eighties for several days but lately we got some (much) needed rain and now it is suppose to be in the twenties Sunday and Monday morning! So far it has been a mild winter which is a big change from the last two where we had some major fish kills. We are in Florida by the way.

oldsarge

We ended up getting less than an inch, blew all over and now it's colder. I'll be waiting for the 40º weather to get back here Dino!

jason

fear no beer
Had a hard freeze over night. Thursday will be in the low 80's for the high and in the 60's for the low.

ppine

Forester
Have you heard about the weather in Eastern Europe in the last few weeks? In Croatia and Serbia is has been around zero to 15 degrees F with major snow storms and some loss of life.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

No blizzards here...but we had a steady, light, wet snowfall all afternoon. It looks like winter now...!! About three inches fell...but it will be gone again tomorrow, per the 40-degree temps.

Calls have been coming in from around the county regarding vehicle crashes of all types, and some roads had to be closed off.

I think this has been only our second day of snow this winter. Schools have not had to use any of their snow days yet this year.

But..theoretically, anyway...we have about another month of potential "winter", so it remains to be seen how that will turn out. You don't hear anyone saying "come on spring" though, as it's been here all "winter"...!!