Coffee!

retardonwheels27

What is your favorite way to make coffee when backpacking/camping? What kind of coffee do you prefer? I need to have coffee in the morning and I never liked carying anything bulky.I just used instant coffee heated in my titanium cup but now I think I am addicted to my percolator.

oldsarge

I use the coffee packets by Hill Bro's. Like a tea bag but better. I've also used regular instant but got tired of carrying around the bottle.

Grandpa

Welcome to the forums Retardonwheels, good question.

Folgers singles or instant coffee and for Sarge, I transfer the instant to zip locks.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I used the singles for years but tired of hastling with the wet bags after so use instant now.

hikingprincess

We use the Nescafe single packs when we are camping. Instant isn't my favorite though since we are used to fresh ground. I might be interested in a percolator.

ejdixon

Welcome to the forum, Retardonwheels!

I'd usually grind my own beans before I go camping and keep them in a ziplock bag. Then just brew my coffee the way that the cowboys do it back in the day: heating them up in a small pan until it boils and then pour it into a cup. A real kicker to start my day.

bsmit212

I used to do instant. I would mix the ground, sugar, and non-dairy creamer in a ziplock before leaving. Now I use a Frech Press travle mug, mine is REI but I know several companies have them. Pre ground my beans and mixes into a bag and then just use it like a french press. I like the mug so much that I acutally use just about everyday to make my coffee to take to the office.

IndianaHiker

I am lucky as this is something I don't have to fool with. I don't drink coffee when out nor do I in every day life. Think I am the only person I know that spent 4 years in the army that doesn't like coffee. When in civilization for caffeine I drink Mt. Dew. When out I just due without.

ppine

Forester
Pound some good beans with a rock in a hankerchief. Then boil them slowly with some water in any vessel. Add some cold water at the end to settle the grounds and enjoy.

The new instant coffee is handy for mornings with a time element like hunting when you just want to get moving.

In the northern canoe country like Ontario, some like to swing the coffee pot in a vertical plane to settle the grounds.

If you have average coffee or are trying to use the same stuff from yesterday, add some egg shells to neutralize the acid.

Two guys were visiting a ranch in North Dakota. It was about 0430 in the dark, when they made a cup of instant coffee in styrofaom cups with powdered milk which was the local custom. One of the ranch hands turns to the guys and says "That mister, is a good cup of coffee."

Last edited:

retardonwheels27

Hi, retardonwheels.. I've got a feeling that you'll fit right in...!!

I hope there's an interesting story behind the name?

Now...back to the coffee...am I the only poster who doesn't have that addiction?
Lots of interesting ideas, thanks everyone.

My name... I do alot of mountain biking/dirt biking/motorcycle riding and I have been known to do a few crazy/retarded things with the above mentioned machines... So I thought that would be a fitting name.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, it has a lot of great info

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Pound some good beans with a rock in a hankerchief. Then boil them slowly with some water in any vessel. Add some cold water at the end to settle the grounds and enjoy.
The new instant coffee is handy for mornings with a time element like hunting when you just want to get moving.
Cowboy coffee

Sounds good

Believe it or not I was looking at backpacking coffee grinders and French presses a couple months ago. I talked myself out of it but it is the little things out there that mean so much. I used to take pre-ground beans and use a cone/filter setup. Usually we are setting off before sunrise these days and don't even stop for breakfast and hots drinks until mid morning, just grab a pre-baked treat and a cold cup of water on the run.

TroyS

Never knew about using cold water to get the grounds to settle. My wife and I would use the osterizer we used to use to make the food for the kids when they were younger to grind up the beans and then boil them before we pass it through a filter cone.

Grandpa

Never knew about using cold water to get the grounds to settle. My wife and I would use the osterizer we used to use to make the food for the kids when they were younger to grind up the beans and then boil them before we pass it through a filter cone.
Ppine is showing his real outdoor knowledge on the cold water. That's an old cowboy/sheepherder trick.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I drink cappuccino, I hate plain coffee. I found some drug-dealer sized ziplock bags in the walmart craft section (about 2x3 inches). They are perfect for measuring individual instant servings. So I can carry three little baggies on a trip and just dump one in hot water when I'm ready. No measuring and no carrying what I don't plan to use.

jbassett

The Starbucks VIA Colombia is by far the best solution I've found. It tastes so much better than other instant coffees I've had. And its too easy: just add to hot water, stir, & enjoy. :)

You can save by ordering on Amazon.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I am awful picky about my coffee. Instant just doesn't cut it. Those tea bag things make a decent brew but I usually have to use two to get any real coffee flavor out of them. The thing is, if you have some perc grind or drip grind coffee available, you boil some water in a pot with the grinds in it. Once it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and let it set for a few minutes. The grounds will settle to the bottom. Then you pour it off carefully into a cup. Good stuff.